News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Can't Dial Out from Rotary Phone on Panasonic 61610

Started by bwroga, January 19, 2018, 11:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwroga

I just bought a Panasonic 616 and am having some problems.

My setup: I have a cord going from my ooma voip box to CO2, and the phone plugged into EXT12. The plug housing on the end of the phone cord is too wide to fit in EXT 11.

If I plug my cordless phone into EXT12, I can dial out fine.

If I plug my rotary into EXT12, I can receive calls, but can't dial out. When I pick up the handset, I hear the ooma dial tone and then the Panasonic dial tone.  Each time I turn the dial, the dial tone becomes quieter and then goes back to full volume when the dial has stopped turning. Once I finish dialing the number (1-XXX-XXX-XXXX), the dial tone just continues sounding and the call is not placed.

With both the cordless and rotary phone, I don't need to dial 9 to hear a dial tone (I thought I had to).

I tried pressing the reset button and turning the pbx off for 5 minutes but that didn't help.

Can anyone help?

Pourme

When you pick up the phone you get a dial tone, to call other extensions on the PBX. Dial 9 to connect to the outside line. I would use co1 if I only have one outside line to use. I've never connected to co2 without a co1 connected.

Benny
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

TelePlay

Quote from: bwroga on January 19, 2018, 11:51:13 PM
My setup: I have a cord going from my ooma voip box to CO2, and the phone plugged into EXT12. The plug housing on the end of the phone cord is too wide to fit in EXT 11.

Please explain this further.

What is make/model of "the phone plugged into EXT12" and why is the "plug housing on the end of the phone cord" which I assume is the "phone plugged into EXT12" too wide to fit EXT 11?

All of the PBX plugs are the same so a picture of "the phone" and a picture of the "plug" would help quite a bit. If it fits #12, it should also fit #11, #13, #14 etc.

Thanks.

bwroga

Quote from: TelePlay on January 20, 2018, 10:09:16 AM

All of the PBX plugs are the same so a picture of "the phone" and a picture of the "plug" would help quite a bit. If it fits #12, it should also fit #11, #13, #14 etc.

Sorry I didn't clarify. It's not the plug that is too wide, it is the plug housing. It won't fit into EXT11 because it is the leftmost plug and has a raised surface to the left of it.

bwroga

Quote from: Pourme on January 20, 2018, 09:07:57 AM
When you pick up the phone you get a dial tone, to call other extensions on the PBX. Dial 9 to connect to the outside line. I would use co1 if I only have one outside line to use. I've never connected to co2 without a co1 connected.

That's whats weird. When I connect the cordless phone I don't need to dial 9 to dial out.

I'll try getting another plug or adapter and connecting to EXT11/CO1.

TelePlay

An adapter like this which allows any length silversatin (flat) modular cord to connect the adapter box to the 616 and to the phone. That would make room in the 616. The adapter you are using is for wall use.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5x-RJ11-6P4C-Telephone-Phone-Line-White-Modular-Surface-Mount-Box/112007938868

poplar1

If the power is off -- or the power fail transfer relay(s) stuck -- then extension 11 is connected directly to the 1st CO line, extension 12 is connected directly to CO2....so I am wondering if since you don't have to dial 9, your phone on ext. 12 is effectively connected to the ooma box as if the power were off.

Can you dial a 2-digit number, such as 15, from an extension plugged into any of the ext. jacks?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: Pourme on January 20, 2018, 09:07:57 AM

Benny

I agree. Unless the co1 port is bad, you would normally connect the ooma box to co1, so that when you want to make an outside call, that line would be 1st choice if available.

However, if you do use a different CO port, then you can manually select any of the CO lines by dialing 81 for the 1st line, 82 for the line connected to CO2, 83 for the third line, etc.

bwroga

Quote from: poplar1 on January 20, 2018, 12:01:05 PM
Can you dial a 2-digit number, such as 15, from an extension plugged into any of the ext. jacks?

No, I can't.

I plugged the ooma into CO1, the cordless phone into EXT11 and the rotary into EXT12.

When I lift the rotary handset, I hear nothing. If I dial 11, still nothing.

If I press "talk" on the cordless, I immediately hear the ooma "chime" and a dial tone. If I dial 20, nothing happens.

If I plug the cordless directly into the ooma, and press "talk" I only hear the ooma "chime".

I also noticed that both the "day" and "night" leds are dark. Only the red "power" led is on.

I have not grounded the unit yet, could that have anything to do with it? It is also right next to a wireless router, a cd player and a stereo receiver.  :-\

poplar1

It does seem to me that you are in power fail mode, same as if you unplug the AC cord from the wall. The Ooma is connecting from CO2 CO1 directly to the ext. 12 11 through the power fail relay.

Either the Panasonic is defective, or something got dislodged in the shipping.

Without even connecting anything to the CO1, CO2, etc., you should still be able to call from one phone to another; for example, pick up phone on ext. 15, hear Panasonic dial tone, and dial any of the 2-digit numbers 11-26 and ring the other phones.

poplar1

With nothing plugged into the CO jacks, try plugging the rotary phone into each of the EXT jacks to see if any of them give you Panasonic dial tone, or even talk battery (where you can hear yourself).

bwroga

Quote from: poplar1 on January 20, 2018, 01:11:10 PM
With nothing plugged into the CO jacks, try plugging the rotary phone into each of the EXT jacks to see if any of them give you Panasonic dial tone, or even talk battery (where you can hear yourself).

No dial tone, but with extensions 17-26 I could hear my own voice when talking into it. Not loudly, but it was there.

When I had the rotary connected to EXT12 and ooma to CO2 and someone called me, I could hear this same thing. Whenever I talked I felt like I could hear my voice out of the handset. This did not happen with the cordless.

poplar1

Do you have the EBay item # for the listing? Just wondering if the seller accepts returns.

bwroga

Quote from: poplar1 on January 22, 2018, 11:26:26 AM
Do you have the EBay item # for the listing? Just wondering if the seller accepts returns.

The seller does accept returns. They sent me a shipping label this morning. Thanks for all your help!

AE_Collector

Has the unit been defaulted? Maybe it has some odd programming set up in it? I don't have one myself so am not familiar with various options available in them.

Terry