Can't Dial Out from Rotary Phone on Panasonic 61610

Started by bwroga, January 19, 2018, 11:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Just pull the strap on the battery to default.  I run mine on default....Doug
Kidphone

bwroga

Quote from: AE_Collector on January 22, 2018, 02:14:25 PM
Has the unit been defaulted? Maybe it has some odd programming set up in it? I don't have one myself so am not familiar with various options available in them.

I wondered that too.

There is a reset button, which I tried, but it didn't help.

Screenshot from the manual:

TelePlay

Quote from: bwroga on January 22, 2018, 07:42:40 PM
I wondered that too.

There is a reset button, which I tried, but it didn't help.

As Doug said, do a hard reset.

Turn the power switch off, unplug it from the power supply, disconnect the battery, wait a minute or two (if there is no battery compartment, you have a very large capacitor soldered onto the PC board inside and if so, I don't know how long it takes to drain that battery - if so, I would unplug the cord and turn on the power switch for an hour or so to drain the capacitor, that might be enough time to clean the memory being retained by that capacitor), then plug the power cord back in and turn on the power switch (do not reconnect the battery).

If anything was programmed into the unit, the above steps will clear it all and take it back to factory settings - nothing programmed.

bwroga

Quote from: TelePlay on January 22, 2018, 07:49:27 PM
As Doug said, do a hard reset.

I unplugged the cord, removed the battery, switched on and left sitting for an hour. Still no dial tone, can't call between extensions, and EXT11 still connected straight to CO1.

bwroga

Thank you to everyone for all your help. I sent it back for a refund.

TelePlay

Glad to hear.

Buying a 616 or 308 is a bit of a gamble. I have two and both work fine. I paid a bit more ($60 to $70) range with shipping but they came from sellers that seemed honest and trustworthy based on photos offered and a good description of where it came from (pulled from a working system when phones upgraded - or - tested and working). Having the battery cover plastic peice also shows some care of the unit. I always made sure returns were accepted as proof of their honesty.

This is not an endorsement but if I were looking for one, of the 10 or so now on eBay, this one would get a second look

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-616-Easa-Phone-KSU-KX-T61610-Electronic-Modular-Switching-System/232638885103

or this one

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-616-Easa-Phone-KX-T61610-Phone-Electronic-Modular-Switching-System/253379483732

both of which seem to be from the original user, not a picker that found it laying in a trash can, if you know what I mean. The second one does not accept returns but does state a working unit so returns are covered by eBay if not working when received.

Now, this one raises a question. It looks good but why would someone cut off the power cord? Where was it found? Did they cut the cord so no one would plug it in a cause a problem, or did it blow up so they cut the cord. Too many unknowns.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PANASONIC-616-EASA-PHONE-ELECTRONIC-MODULAR-SWITCHING-SYSTEM-CUT-CORD-UNTES/122907490894

They come up quite often on eBay. Some say you can get them for cheap. I always preferred to pay a bit more. Refurbed units sells for $250, that's a bit high but you know it's working, warrantied. For what they can do, are worth to a collector, a few dollars more for a unit with a good chance of working to me is just a bit of an insurance policy.

twocvbloke

Quote from: TelePlay on January 26, 2018, 09:44:42 AMBuying a 616 or 308 is a bit of a gamble.

Indeed, I remember buying my 308 and it having problems due to aged goo that turned conductive as it aged, but on removal of the stuff it worked fine again... :)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=13471

Wish I took pictures of the goo though for posterity...

bwroga