"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

308 or 616 for inhouse intercom only

Started by Dave, March 01, 2018, 07:37:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

Quote from: Dave on March 01, 2018, 07:37:43 PM
7. I will be amazed that this works so well that I'll wonder why anybody spends the money it takes to buy a TLS-4.

Even though collectors are often tempted to use the TLS-n products as an intercom or local PBX, they were not designed for that purpose. As has been stated, real PBX products are much better when you plan to use the phones as an intercom or connected to a CO line.

The TSL products are far superior to a PBX for their intended uses. It's a lot easier to carry one to a remote location and set up a demonstration, than to try it with a Panasonic 616. I have two 616s and several TLS models and have tried it both ways.

From the TLS-5 manual:

The TLS-5 Telephone Line Simulator offers a convenient means for setting up
temporary "telephone line" connections to demonstrate or test equipment
where actual central office lines are not easily available. It provides four
simulated lines, two "talk paths" or connections, and an audio interface port,
making the TLS-5 a versatile device for a variety of applications including:

· Demonstrating or testing telecommunications devices such as
telephone sets, fax machines, and modems. Two simultaneous,
independent conversations can be set up over the four lines.

· Playing prerecorded presentations over a line when the telephone
handset is lifted (for example, at trade show or museum displays).

· As a teaching aid with the audio port configured to allow monitoring
and/or recording of a telephone conversation (for example, when
teaching children to use "9-1-1").

· Testing telephone or key system installations.

· Caller ID and other CLASS features.

Try that with your 616!
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

oldguy

That seems to be the best price out there now. They have programming phones for them (see threat at the top of this section for phones that work) but the default programming works for most situations. After you get your unit, you can shop for a good priced. There are also downloadable manuals in the same thread. You will have fun with this.
Gary

Dave

Quote from: paul-f on March 03, 2018, 11:27:15 AM
Even though collectors are often tempted to use the TLS-n products as an intercom or local PBX, they were not designed for that purpose. As has been stated, real PBX products are much better when you plan to use the phones as an intercom or connected to a CO line.

The TSL products are far superior to a PBX for their intended uses. It's a lot easier to carry one to a remote location and set up a demonstration, than to try it with a Panasonic 616. I have two 616s and several TLS models and have tried it both ways.

From the TLS-5 manual:

The TLS-5 Telephone Line Simulator offers a convenient means for setting up
temporary "telephone line" connections to demonstrate or test equipment
where actual central office lines are not easily available. It provides four
simulated lines, two "talk paths" or connections, and an audio interface port,
making the TLS-5 a versatile device for a variety of applications including:

· Demonstrating or testing telecommunications devices such as
telephone sets, fax machines, and modems. Two simultaneous,
independent conversations can be set up over the four lines.

· Playing prerecorded presentations over a line when the telephone
handset is lifted (for example, at trade show or museum displays).

· As a teaching aid with the audio port configured to allow monitoring
and/or recording of a telephone conversation (for example, when
teaching children to use "9-1-1").

· Testing telephone or key system installations.

· Caller ID and other CLASS features.

Try that with your 616!

I was uninformed then. Now I know the differences.

Dave

Quote from: Dave on March 03, 2018, 09:44:24 AM
That's good to know. I think I have one beige 2500.

I've been looking at this one. Anyone know this guy or dealt with him before?

I did a bit of research on this ebay seller, found that he deals in Panasonic stuff exclusively, and pulled the trigger. Sixty nine dollars later, the 616 should be here in a week.

Dave

Dave

Got the 616 in today. Looks good. Packed well. Plugged it in and hit the switch and the Night and Day lights came on, click  the Night went off. Seems good so far.

Plugged in a rotary dial Princess phone into ext 11 and a rotary dial Ericophone into another ext. Used the Ericophone to dial the Princess got a busy signal. That's odd. I was looking at both phones and I swear no one was using the Princess.

Set the Ericophone down, picked it back up  - still a busy signal. Couldn't get the busy signal to stop until I unplugged it and plugged it into another ext. Used the princess to dial the Ericophone - same deal - busy signal until I unplug it.

Tried a couple of different ports with both phones. Busy signals.

It's obvious I'm missing something simple, but what the heck is it?

AE_Collector

Dialing the right number? To dial the first port it is 21 I think...not 01. Slow busy not fast busy? Busy signal starts right after your second digit is complete?

What happens if you dial 9.... or 0?

Just shooting in the dark, I don't have one of these systems set up.

Terry

Dave

Here's something interesting. The 616 doesn't like my Ericophone. I plugged another Princess into it and each dials and rings the other just as Panasonic had intended.

I discovered it by accident. I dialed an incorrect extension and got a ringing tone. Immediately dialed the right number and got a busy signal. Figured it might be the Erico, and apparently it was.

Doug Rose

My 616 strarts with x11 to x26. Do you get DT on both phones?  Pull the battery strap and set it to default.  Some where on the Forum I posted a 616 manual.....Doug
Kidphone

Dave

Here's something interesting. The 616 doesn't like my Ericophone. I plugged another Princess into it and each dials and rings the other just as Panasonic had intended.

I discovered it by accident. I dialed an incorrect extension and got a ringing tone. Immediately dialed the right number and got a busy signal. Figured it might be the Erico, and apparently it was.

The extension numbers dial exactly as they're listed. Dial 1-1 to get ext 11, and so on.

Now, to figure out why Panasonic and the Ericophone don't play well together. Any ideas, anyone?

Owain

Quote from: Dave on March 09, 2018, 04:09:47 PMHere's something interesting. The 616 doesn't like my Ericophone.

Does your Ericophone have a 4-wire line cord? Panasonic systems use the inner pair for standard phones and the inner+outer pair for systemphones. If your ericophone has any circuitry - ringing capacitor perhaps? - to the outer pair it may be being detected by the extension circuit as an off-hook or faulty systemphone

AE_Collector

Or even just a 4 wire cord where the outer conductors yellow and black have been shorted together inside the phone under a spare screw terminal.

Terry

Dave

darn, guys. I'll have to put my glasses on to figure that one out. I'll have to get back to you . . . when I can find them.

Jim Stettler

You might check with Richard Rose.

You can reach him thru his site
http://www.ericofon.com/work.htm
There is a troubleshooting section on his website as well.
Hope this helps.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

MADhouseTelephone

One thing to make clear:
When you call a 616 from an outside line, it will ring ALL the extensions, unless programed to do otherwise.  I have not found them to allow dialing one extension from outside.
Mine complements my 200 line SxS and C*NET box very nicely. ADavid
ADavid, MADhouse Telephone

Protel8000

I love this site! Just bought a 616 from the eBay link.

This will solve my problem of needing to be able to have my payphone ring my modem (or vice versa) without needing to go out over VoIP. Much cheaper than any of the line simulators I can find used or new on eBay or elsewhere, too.

Plus, who doesn't need their own in-house PBX?? Now I need more phones to fill up all 16 ports.