News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Panasonic 616

Started by paul-f, December 11, 2012, 12:23:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul-f

I have used phone lines, line simulators, Panasonic 61610 PBX, WE KSUs and several testers.  All techniques work. 

For simple tests I routinely use the Radio Shack tester, as the basic switchhook, receiver, transmitter, dial and ringer tests can easily be completed in under a minute with a little practice.

See this thread:
  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4386.0
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

gpo706

2CV - agreed another handy use for that set.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

HarrySmith

Man, I love the telephone collecting community! Since I got no response here about an available tester I put a message on the lists. I got a member who offered to send me a Panasonic 616 for the cost of shipping!!! Where else can you find people like that!!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

HarrySmith

Yeah, I saw the same thing. I also found brand new ones for the same price off eBay. I was not asking for a KSU but it was suggested and since the price was right......
Now I have to figure out how it works!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Phonesrfun

I think the 616 would be a good solution for you.
-Bill G

HarrySmith

Cool, thanks guys. I can't wait to get it! In looking at the install manual it appears it needs an incoming phone line, which I don't have. Is this right??
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

twocvbloke

The phone line is only needed if you plan to make calls with it, mine has not phoneline and still works fine... :)

One trick with them is to connect a free extension port (I usually use the last one on mine, which is 36, would be 26 on a US version) to the last CO port, then when you dial said extension, it'll make the whole system ring your phones with an external call ring cadence, perfect for demoing the ringers of your phones... :)

DavePEI

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 29, 2012, 07:11:38 AM
Cool, thanks guys. I can't wait to get it! In looking at the install manual it appears it needs an incoming phone line, which I don't have. Is this right??
I am assuming you are talking about the Panasonic?

No, you don't need to have an incoming line. Just connect them as extensions, then dial from one extension to another, i.e dial from ext. 11 to 12, 13, 14. etc.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

gpo706

It will only access a POTS line by dialling 9, if there is no line connected it (obviously) won't pick it up.
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on January 10, 2013, 10:26:09 AM
The same seller just sold another BK 1050 today for $150:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/150977743392
Yep, they are very popular ones!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

HarrySmith

Got my Panasonic today!! Not only did he send me the PBX, I also got a Panasonic telephone to go with it and a looseleaf binder with all the manuals in it! All for the cost of UPS shipping, $40.00! Now to figure out how to use it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

poplar1

The default program is as follows:

Dialing from one extension to another

Dialing 9 for an outside line, starting with line 1

Dialing ? for a particular outside line

Ringing of all extensions on an incoming C.O. call; just pick up any phone to answer

Transfer of incoming C.O. call from one extension to another (Flash and dial ext. #)

You can wire an ext. port into a line port then dial that ext. # to ring the other 15 phones since it will look like an incoming C.O. call.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Greg G.

Quote from: HarrySmith on January 14, 2013, 07:32:00 PM
Got my Panasonic today!! Not only did he send me the PBX, I also got a Panasonic telephone to go with it and a looseleaf binder with all the manuals in it! All for the cost of UPS shipping, $40.00! Now to figure out how to use it.

Great deal!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Greg G.

Quote from: poplar1 on January 14, 2013, 08:32:27 PM
The default program is as follows:

Ringing of all extensions on an incoming C.O. call; just pick up any phone to answer

They'll ring in cascading order unless you set it up otherwise.  I never looked at the manual for my 308, because I thought it was funner that way:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILUvbF62yB4
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

poplar1

Key systems installed in offices usually have only one or two phones ringing for the listed directory number calls, and other phones that ring only for a personal line. So cascading is not usually a problem.

I think the ring generator is too small to ring more than 4 ports at once (up to two phones per port).
[EDIT: MAX 6 STANDARD PHONES PER  RINGING GROUP]

You can always put phones within hearing range on every 4th station port (1st, 5th, 9th, 13th or 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th, etc.) Or put similar sounding phones together: for example,  8A ringers (candlesticks) on 1,5,9,13; 78A ringers (202s with 684A subsets) on 2,6,10,14; B1AL ringers (302s)  on 3,7,11,15; C4A ringers (500s) on 4, 8, 12,16.

Does the cascading happen only on single line ("Industry Standard") phones or also on the proprietary multi-line Panasonic phones?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.