News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Sorry, John

Started by Key2871, May 01, 2018, 03:37:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Key2871

I'm so used to putting ads for sale under the same heading, with out having to put "For Sale" first. This forum is so very similar to the other I'm used to, that I forget to always put for sale first.
Sorry...
KEN

TelePlay

Quote from: Key2871 on May 01, 2018, 03:37:44 PM
I'm so used to putting ads for sale under the same heading, with out having to put "For Sale" first. This forum is so very similar to the other I'm used to, that I forget to always put for sale first.
Sorry...

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

No problem, no need to apologize. It is in your best interest to do this for without the "For Sale" beginning, it looks just like any other topic and most members don't read every topic or look to see what board it is in. If the title does not trip the trigger, you ad may be sumarily dismissed by members who do not realize the item is for sale, which then may be of interest to them and they click on it.

Many times I've seen poorly titled For Sale listings sit for days until the "For Sale" is added to he title and then the item is gone in a day or two. There is a big difference between a topic title that says "1954 Black WE 500" and "For Sale:  1954 Black WE 500."

It is in the best interest of every member to put "For Sale" as the first two words in those topics.

Moderators try to add, to fix the titles, when spotted but that may be days if not weeks after first posted.

Key2871

Well as said, I'm used to a specific topic such as for sale, just being for sale post's.
So when I can find the topic for sale, I just figure, everything there is for sale.
This is a great site, but confusing to find thing's, and navigate. I'm still looking for "change password", nope not found yet.. I keep searching.
KEN

WEBellSystemChristian

As a Moderator, I only like "For Sale" at the beginning of the post simply for neatness. I sometimes go through and change titles when needed, just so the classifieds list looks a little less hectic. As John said, it's less about neatness and more about how the poster benefits from it.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Key2871

Gotcha have been since.
KEN

TelePlay

Quote from: Key2871 on May 01, 2018, 04:06:00 PM
Well as said, I'm used to a specific topic such as for sale, just being for sale post's.
So when I can find the topic for sale, I just figure, everything there is for sale.
This is a great site, but confusing to find thing's, and navigate. I'm still looking for "change password", nope not found yet.. I keep searching.

GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

First, as to changing your password, click on Profile, then hover over Modify Profile and click on Account Settings in the drop down box. At the bottom of that page, enter your new password twice and your old password to confirm it is you making the change.

Second, as for the need for "For Sale" in the title, it's not for those who are looking in the "For Sale" board at topics posted. Yes, all those topic are items for sale. It's about what shows up in the list of "Show unread posts since last visit" where only the topic title is seen of every new post since you were last on or reading or cleared them and the board each of those unread posts in is small italics under the title. So, not including the "For Sale" as the first two words of the topic title, the topic looks like a discussion of or help on or a "see this" or a just found or a "she's a beauty" type of general post, many of which members do not read unless it's in their current area of interest.

I really don't care if it's there or not, other than knowing that not having "For Sale" as the first two words greatly diminishes the chance of the member creating the topic selling the item. If not there, I and other moderators don't loose anything. By being there, the selling member greatly enhances his chances of selling the item. I look at views since posted. Without the "For Sale" as first two words, views after a few days are generally under 10 total. With the "For Sale" identifier showing up in the "unread posts since last visit," view are 2 to 3 times as many. Just the facts. How it works. Just trying to help members get the most views possible on their for sale listings.

I look at a correct title as important to a successful sale as correct English, complete sentences, paragraphed thoughts and accurate spelling are to helping other members understand a discussion or request for help. IMS style or type posts are often quite garbled to the point of being a head scratcher and they really do not show much respect to those who have to or want to read those short, cryptic and poorly written posts, and they don't get the quality replies needed or desired in response. Members who want to and can help are not mind readers.

And all of the above is written in general terms since Key2871 is now doing a fine job of adding "For Sale" to his new topics, and that is appreciated by all.

Key2871

Oh, well now that's clear as water. Thank you.
I've been looking for an icon somewhere and then clicking on that. I'm using my phone, so it's hard to navigate the site with such a small screen. But my wife brought up a good point I can get a tablet, thus a larger screen, and a real life keyboard . So I think I'm going to go that route.
KEN

HarrySmith

Great Idea! I find my "smartphone" impossible to use for the forum, or even email. The screen is just too small and the font is impossible to read, at least to my old eyes. I use my desktop at work and a laptop at home.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Key2871

Yea it's no fun getting old. I use my fingers to spread the screen larger, but then I have to swipe back and forth to see everything. I'm going to try my boys tomorrow, but I'm going to have to do a new password, cuz I still can't remember my old one.
KEN

Butch Harlow

Quote from: TelePlay on May 01, 2018, 03:51:26 PM
     GLOBAL MODERATOR POST

"1954 Black WE 500" and "For Sale:  1954 Black WE 500."

so, um, how much for the 1954 black WE 500.  :P
Butch Harlow

Key2871

Me? I didn't post anything about a black 500.
KEN

Butch Harlow

Quote from: Key2871 on May 01, 2018, 08:28:54 PM
Me? I didn't post anything about a black 500.

No, John did, I was just being dense, and apparently confusing. Apologies.
Butch Harlow

Key2871

Dennis, and moderator, it came to me, after several tries I remembered my password.
Ahh now I can do more adjusting.
KEN