News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Might Be A Blue 302 Underneath the Paint!!

Started by Doug Rose, November 15, 2011, 08:26:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Man its cold out this morning. 31 in MA. I got these pics before the sun came through the leafless trees. I will build the phone sometime this weekend. Here are pics of the phone with the paint removed....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

a few more pics
Kidphone

Dennis Markham

Looks very nice, Doug.  I look forward to seeing it once you have it complete. 

DavePEI

Quote from: Dennis Markham on November 19, 2011, 08:42:44 AM
Looks very nice, Doug.  I look forward to seeing it once you have it complete. 
Hi Doug:

Its going to be beautiful, Doug!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

wds

Dave

Doug Rose

Here is the finished phone. I had a thick clear "X" flange finger wheel that went on the 4Js and a set of clear plungers. The dial is dated 1/39 like the base. So for the time being, this is it. I have never attached one of these finger wheels, wasn't easy. Also the dial card space is smaller. Had to cut the card and the clear window....Doug
Kidphone

Tom B

Doug
That is one gorgeous piece. You have done a great job with it - get yourself a beer, mate
Tom

HarrySmith

Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Quote from: Tom B on November 19, 2011, 02:05:33 PM
Doug
That is one gorgeous piece. You have done a great job with it - get yourself a beer, mate
Thanks Tom....I apreciate it. A beer?.....well alright....maybe a Pint...or two....thanks again....Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 19, 2011, 02:06:39 PM
NICE ;D
thanks Harry. I'm still not sure about it, but it is growing on me. Isn't the metal shell amazing!...Doug
Kidphone

Tom B

Doug
You deserve at least 3 pints ;D
Is it a keeper?
Tom

HarrySmith

Yes, the shell looks brand new, did you clear coat it or anything? That Brown bakelite handset looks amazing too! What did you use to shine it up like that? I have not had a brown one and the black ones are not easy to get a shine on!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Dennis Markham

It looks great, Doug.  That handset looks awesome on there.  The white dial and clear plungers look nice too.  Very unusual look.  Better make room for it on one of your shelves.

Doug Rose

Quote from: HarrySmith on November 19, 2011, 06:27:01 PM
Yes, the shell looks brand new, did you clear coat it or anything? That Brown bakelite handset looks amazing too! What did you use to shine it up like that? I have not had a brown one and the black ones are not easy to get a shine on!
Harry...after stripping....I used fine steel wool and Avon skin so soft. My hands are killing me from the stripper, two weeks in a row and the sh*t tears the rubber gloves apart. The skin comes off easier than the paint, but I'm not complaining

Thanks Dennis....I think it is a keeper....Doug
Kidphone

wbos

Quote from: Doug Rose on November 18, 2011, 09:23:39 PM
Quote from: wbos on November 18, 2011, 08:06:24 PM
Quote from: Doug Rose on November 15, 2011, 10:44:29 AM
Quote from: ESalter on November 15, 2011, 10:33:12 AM
It looks like bare metal to me, but I sure hope you're right about being blue!!!   ---Eric
Eric....when I bought it I thought it was bare metal. The more I look, the more it looks blue. I hope I am right. Would that be a surprise!! Of course, I have no idea how to safely get paint off of thermoplastic in this large of an area....Doug

I've sucessfully used Easy-off oven claener to remove paint off plastic. Bill
Bill.....Welcome to the Forum. I will remember to try that in the future. How long do you leave it on or do you know right away when it lifts off....thanks and welcome....Doug

Hi Doug, Usually it softens within 20-30 minutes depending on how thick and the type of paint that was used. Bill