News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. 102, 202 and subset easy wiring diagrams

Started by bingster, March 14, 2009, 02:53:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wallphone

Let's all take up 1/5 of a MB with our signature and see how long it takes until Dennis has to go to a higher rate plan for the Forum website.

Dennis Markham

I think it's hosted off-site, at Photobucket, so that isn't an issue.  If it wasn't I think the software would not allow an image that size for a signature. 

Phonesrfun

Quote from: Dennis Markham on October 07, 2010, 03:40:12 PM
I have a question to ask....am I the only one seeing the same red phone?  I see the Batman phone posted 4 times, but others may be seeing a different image.  Bill made the comment that it "looks like an AE mini network". 

What are the rest of you seeing??

Thanks,

Dennis

Dennis:  I was ignoring the red manual 500 photos.  The network I was referring to was several posts back.  I too was confused as to why I kept seeing the same photo until I checked his profile that shows that as his signature.

-Bill G

DARK FATHER

I used my cell phone to call the phone as a test.  I gave the cell to my son and sent him to the other room. I could hear him talking to me, but he could not hear me.  Maybe this phone is more broken than I thought.  And I thought this would be an easy fix!

bingster

I don't think there's anything wrong with the phone.  There's really not much there that can go wrong, and they almost always work when wired correctly.  The problem is that these mini-networks require the phone to be wired incorrectly, and that introduces a lot of confusion when it comes to connection and troubleshooting.

I found this image on ebay, and it may help you with this.  It shows the same mini-network installed in a 202.  If you can trace the wiring and make it identical to this, I'm sure your phone will work fine.
= DARRIN =

Wallphone

The same phone is missing that screw, right? With that screw missing your dial contacts could be set wrong. I think the transmitter has to go through the pulse contacts.

Phonesrfun

I have a 202, and I have an AE mini network.  I will wire them up tonight and I will post detailed instructions.

-Bill G

Phonesrfun

Here it is.  I am assuming that since you have wired it up so that the cord going out of the phone is connected as you have it that you are going to mount the network external to the phone.  Wiring it inside the phone is a tight fit, and requires some way of attaching the network to the base with insulating double sided sticky tape, which can be very challenging, so an external mount is a better and easier solution.

So, what you need are:

• The 202 wired just as you have it now.
  • A terminal strip with at least 5 terminals
  • The 4-conductor wire running from the 202 desk set base as you have it wired
  • A 2-conductor line cord with a modular plug on one end.  If your mod plug and wire has 4 conductors, only use red and green

Connect as follows:

Red line cord wire to the first terminal on the strip connector
Green line cord wire to the second terminal strip connector

Pink Mini Network wire to the first terminal strip connector
White Mini Network wire to the third terminal strip connector
Yellow Mini Network wire to the fourth terminal strip connector
Red Mini Network wire to the fifth terminal strip connector

Yellow 202 deskset wire to the 2nd terminal strip connector
Green 202 deskset wire to the 3rd terminal strip connector
Black 202 deskset wire to the 4th terminal strip connector
Red 202 deskset wire to the 5th terminal stip connector

Put a piece of tape on the ends of the following Mini Network wires, as they are not to be connected, and should not come in contact with any other wires:

Black
Green
Blue

Attached is a diagram that shows these connections:

-Bill G

DARK FATHER

Thanks phonesrfun!  I actually hooked up what I could and was able to dial with the phone.  Now my next issue.  I do not have a 7th (red) wire on my mini network.  Mine has yellow, white, pink, green, black, and blue.  I hooked up everything except for the fact that I have no red wire and got a dial tone.  The volume was low and when I tried to dial I kept getting the "cannot be completed as dialed" recording.  So thanks to your help I am many steps ahead of where I was!  Now I need to figure out why I am missing a red wire.

Wallphone

Use the Black wire instead of the Red wire. Some networks have both and they are one & the same as far as the circuit goes. They must have designed it with both the Black & Red wires for usage on a 4 wire handset.

Phonesrfun

Yes, the black is the same as the red.

The mis-dialing could be caused by the missing screw on the dial.  That screw holds the dial switch pile-up in place at the correct place for proper dial adjustment.  First hook up the black in place of the red and see what happens.  If it still mis-dials,  Check with Steve Hilsz for the missing screw.

He is not on this forum, but his web site is at:

http://www.navysalvage.com/

-Bill G

DARK FATHER

My phone has now made its first call since I bought it!!  The black wire on the mini network did it.  The volume is lower that I thought it would be (not a big deal) and it still mis-dials sometimes.  Curiously when I try to dial my wife's number it ALWAYS gives the annoying recording of "cannot be completed as dialed".   I guess it "has a screw loose" so I must buy another.  And that should do it!!  Thanks millions to all who helped me with this.  It was very important for me to get this hooked up myself rather than have a repairman do it.

Doug Rose

Darrin....how about doing a nice color schematic for a North Galion. I just got one with a WE dial and I want to put an AE 24 in its place. I know nothing about the North Galions Any help would be GREATLY appreciated....Doug
Kidphone

bingster

= DARRIN =

Doug Rose

Kidphone