News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Panasonic 308 Easa-Phone questions

Started by Sargeguy, February 28, 2012, 11:32:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

I just purchased a Panasonic 308 Easa-Phone off eBay for $40.  Supposedly it works.  I understand that it can be used as an intercom on its own.  What do I need to do to connect it to an outside line?  Do I need a programming phone?  If so which one?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

They can be used as an intercom, just leave it disconnected from a phoneline... :)

And to connect it up to a phoneline, you just need a regular line cord to go between the system and the phoneline (or VOIP adaptor, or whatever you like really), they're pretty simple systems... :)

Dennis Markham

Greg, I have a 308 that I'll tinker with from time to time.  No programming needed.  Just connect your phones into a numbered jack.  Phone one can dial phone two.  As mentioned, just connect a phone line to the input jack.  Dial 9 to get an outside line.  I'm sure there are many things that it is capable of doing that I don't use.  I do not have a manual for it.

Doug Rose

Greg....just pull the battery strap and have it go to default. I have a 616 on default, all stations ring and you can put three phones per extension. This is great for the workbench as well as running my phone room through it. I have a comcast digital line hanging off it. Best thing I ever purchased for my telephones.....Doug

Here's a link for the soft manual

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3082.0
Kidphone

Sargeguy

Cool.  I don't think I need any features other than ringing 8 phones.  My wife is going to love it!!!*

*sarcasm
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

twocvbloke

When I was using a 308 at the computer shop where I worked, the system did a funny thing where it rang each extension one after the other, rather than all at once, could make it an interesting feature to demo different phone ringers by age... :D

DavePEI

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 28, 2012, 01:33:54 PM
When I was using a 308 at the computer shop where I worked, the system did a funny thing where it rang each extension one after the other, rather than all at once, could make it an interesting feature to demo different phone ringers by age... :D
Sort of like the kids who discover my 555 switchboard in the museum will ring any of the phones on the shelf beside it. Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring, Ring - will it never end! Someone pass me the earplugs! Actually people are interested in hearing the sounds of the different ringers!

I have a 61610 on the way from Ottawa for a new display in another room of the museum.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

twocvbloke

Yeah, kids love hearing old phones ringing, one of my other GPO746s that I gave away, my younger niece & nephew loved playing with it, hooked up to my 286A linesman phone, they just loved the sound of it when it was ringing, so much so that my nephew tried to chew on the hookswitch.... :o

I don't have that issue now though, they're back in lancashire, and I'm not... :lol:

Greg G.

Quote from: twocvbloke on February 28, 2012, 01:33:54 PM

Yup, lots of fun can be had with a 308!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILUvbF62yB4
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

DavePEI

The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Greg G.

Quote from: DavePEI on February 29, 2012, 03:56:37 AM
Quote from: Brinybay on February 29, 2012, 03:49:51 AM
Yup, lots of fun can be had with a 308!  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILUvbF62yB4

As you said, "Too Many toys, too much spare time", Maestro!

My ultimate goal is to get 5 phones plugged in that ring to the tune of "Close Encounters"!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

Kidphone

twocvbloke

Greg G.

On the serious side, it can be used to hook up more than one phone to an external line and also as an intercom.  Just run a mod-to-mod cord from the jack to one of the three CO ports, then the phones are plugged into the extension ports.  You have to dial 9 to get an outside line when using any of the phones plugged into the PBX, but you can call any of the other phones internally by dialing the 2-digit extension, e.g. if the phone you want to call is on Ext #13, you would dial 1-3, etc.  When you dial internally like that, they have two shorts for a ring, like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdOODv--BSU.  I also have the programming phone that goes with it, but I've never had any reason to do any programming with it.

One last little tidbit.  Any phone plugged in to a different jack in the house will function normally, i.e. will not be going through the PBX, you won't need to dial 9.  
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

Over here in the UK (and other countries who use the same GPO-type setup), the extensions on a 308 are numbered I think 20-27 or 21-28 (I can't recall it 100%, it's been a while!!), and the internal and external ringer cadences are the opposite, so 2 short rings for external and 1 long ring for internal... :)

If you loop-back one of the extensions (e.g. the "last" extension) to one of the CO ports, you can make the system ring as though it's receiving a call from outside the system, so it'll play the external ringer cadence from an internal call...  ;D