"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 8 dial--Spring accessibility

Started by WesternElectricBen, November 23, 2013, 09:43:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hi,

I have a spring in my phone, on a type 8 dial which came un-hooked. It is the type where you cannot easily work on it. Is their a way to remove that gold colored cover with the three circles? Or do I just have to cut it, and hope I'm lucky?

Ben

southernphoneman

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 23, 2013, 09:43:38 PM
Hi,

I have a spring in my phone, on a type 8 dial which came un-hooked. It is the type where you cannot easily work on it. Is their a way to remove that gold colored cover with the three circles? Or do I just have to cut it, and hope I'm lucky?

Ben
hi Ben, I have bad news, I was in touch with steve hilz about this very same thing and he told me when he works on a rotary like this he will take a part like that, whether it be a 8 or a 9 series dial, and scrap it and replace it with either new old stock or a spare one as for the governor cover they are sealed and can't be removed . the 6 and 7 series rotaries are easier to work on because they governor is easily accessable.,Gregg

Contempra

If you need to bent the spring, you need a small pair of plier .. My Princess phone has a dial number 8FA and it has no rivets and all plastic and the spring in the governor is around a shaft. I can't remove it but I can slightly bent the spring and the the problem is solved as said. My dial was too sluggished and now it works fine ;)

PS: that was my humble opinion and I know someone is better than me in the phones here..

WesternElectricBen

Contempra: I think it's too far disconnected to do that, but thanks anyway.

Gregg, thanks for the info, I think first I'm going to try to cut it open. I mean, no harm in trying.

Il tell you how it turns out,

Ben

southernphoneman

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 24, 2013, 10:38:36 AM
Contempra: I think it's too far disconnected to do that, but thanks anyway.

Gregg, thanks for the info, I think first I'm going to try to cut it open. I mean, no harm in trying.

Il tell you how it turns out,

Ben
great and if you succeed let me know how you did it because than I can try it with mine,thanks and take care, Gregg

WesternElectricBen

No success, unless I could remount the bracket, which is not happening. Though it was worth a try, which I will go back to later. What I really should have done is, cut two of the tree spokes, so one still holds the governor in, but I have much more room to work on it.

But now I have a new issue,

Will a 8A dial and contacts work in a 8C system as a replacement?

Ben

southernphoneman

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 24, 2013, 12:43:19 PM
No success, unless I could remount the bracket, which is not happening. Though it was worth a try, which I will go back to later. What I really should have done is, cut two of the tree spokes, so one still holds the governor in, but I have much more room to work on it.

But now I have a new issue,

Will a 8A dial and contacts work in a 8C system as a replacement?

Ben
Ben, I am not sure if you are looking for a replacement or not but I was just on ebay and saw this 8A rotary,http://www.ebay.com/item/331073109543,Gregg

WesternElectricBen

Darn. I'm actually in need of a 8C. I don't think that fits.

Ben

G-Man

Though you don't mention the telephone it is used in I surmise it's for your 634-central office recording console.

Since it was never intended to have a speakerphone connected to it, for display purposes an 8A should suffice.

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on November 24, 2013, 09:55:22 PM
Though you don't mention the telephone it is used in I surmise it's for your 634-central office recording console.

Since it was never intended to have a speakerphone connected to it, for display purposes an 8A should suffice.

I forgot to add...

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: G-Man on November 24, 2013, 09:55:22 PM

Yes, you are correct,

and thanks G-Man, so I will be using a princess phone dial in it.

Though, my confusion is, the 8C dial has more leads than the 8A dial, what should I do with those?

Ben

poplar1

Insulate and store the extra leads. They were used to mute the speaker to suppress the sound of  dial pulses.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Contempra

My dial is 8FA on my princess phone, so I probably need to change for a ( 8A )because mine is  all plastic...my spring on the governor is almost inaccessible but I managed to bent the spring and it works well but I think that this dial is cheaped..

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on November 25, 2013, 07:39:31 AM
Insulate and store the extra leads. They were used to mute the speaker to suppress the sound of  dial pulses.

Okay, thank you! I will either convert it tonight or tomorrow. Luckily Thanksgiving break we only have 2 days of school this week. :)

Ben

LM Ericsson

I use a push pin to grab the hooks of the governor spring and it works well to put it back in, although it is tricky at times
Regards,
-Grayson