News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The Case of the Incorrectly liten lights- 6 button key set

Started by WesternElectricBen, November 30, 2013, 12:52:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poplar1

You can also try swapping phones around to see if the trouble follows the phone when it's plugged into a different cable. That way you can see if it's the phone or the cable.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

WesternElectricBen

Okay, I tried a different lead, and the issue is still present, so this probably means the issue is inside the phone.

No, it was not working before the buzzer.

I will try to troubleshoot w/ out intercom.

Should I disconnect the leads you were talking about?

Thank you,
Ben

Phonesrfun

To me, it really sounds like a wire that is crossed over to another, or a wire that has become loose allowing a DC path throuh the lamp circuit.  Look at each and every wire and make sure they are connected where they should be.  Did you print a schematic of the phone?
-Bill G

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Phonesrfun on November 30, 2013, 05:59:02 PM
To me, it really sounds like a wire that is crossed over to another, or a wire that has become loose allowing a DC path throuh the lamp circuit.  Look at each and every wire and make sure they are connected where they should be.  Did you print a schematic of the phone?

No, I do not have a wiring sketch, but for right now, I will make sure none of the leads are connected to others. There is this long mettal connecting strip which connects two opposite terminals together, but that shouldn't be the issue.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

I put my screwdriver across a white-blue and a white-orange pair on the same vertical strip. And only the fist light light.

Does that mean something to anyone?

Ben

Phonesrfun

You should probaly print one out and try to get a feel for how the wires are connected.  A key set is kind of a busy place to start understanding wiring diagrams, but if you can begin to understand them, it is a skill that you will definitely use as a collector.  Especially as a collector of key sets.

-Bill G

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 30, 2013, 06:07:08 PM
I put my screwdriver across a white-blue and a white-orange pair on the same vertical strip. And only the fist light light.

Does that mean something to anyone?

Ben

If you short W-O and O-W, this shorts 1A to A1 thus activating the relay for the first line, which turns the lamp on for that line.

poplar1

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 30, 2013, 05:17:40 PM
More info:

The intercom works on line 1 button, 4 button, and line 5 button

Ben

That's why I suggested disconnecting the intercom amphenol, to see whether the intercom lamp is being activated by a short causing the intercom to go  off-hook or by the lamp lead being crossed with another lead inside the set.

WesternElectricBen

Oh. So that really isn't that important.

I should look for a diagram for it. Will a WE diagram work for it? Its a ITT body with a NT handset.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on November 30, 2013, 06:40:46 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on November 30, 2013, 05:17:40 PM
More info:

The intercom works on line 1 button, 4 button, and line 5 button

Ben

That's why I suggested disconnecting the intercom, to see whether the intercom lamp is being activated by the intercom going off-hook or by the lamp lead being crossed with another lead inside the set.

Oh, okay,

Now I understand what your saying.

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Okay,

I did what Poplar1 said, and I disconnected the intercom. The line buttons work like normal, but the last one won't light. It is the same way on another phone.

So, does that mean that it was wired incorrectly, or are two terminal wires touching each other?

Ben

poplar1

Since the intercom lamp is no longer lighting up when you are on line 1 or line 4, I think it just means the intercom lamp is not crossed with another lamp.

Just to recap, the problem only happens from one phone, but causes all the other intercom lamps to come on when you are on Line 1 or Line 4 of that one phone? None of the other phones cause the same problem? If not, did you try moving the trouble phone to another cable?

Perhaps it means that the intercom is turning on--thus lighting the intercom lamps--whenever you are on line 1 or line 4 or line 5. See if you can hear the relay inside the intercom clicking the same way when you push Line 1, Line 4 and intercom. This would mean it thinks there is a phone off-hook on line 5 (black-green/green-black pair).

poplar1

I also wonder why the lamp doesn't work on the red phone. This is the slate-black lead for the lamp using common ground for return. Line 5: Black-green/green-black are Tip and Ring, Slate-black is lamp.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: poplar1 on November 30, 2013, 07:18:02 PM
Since the intercom lamp is no longer lighting up when you are on line 1 or line 4, I think it just means the intercom lamp is not crossed with another lamp.

Just to recap, the problem only happens from one phone, but causes all the other intercom lamps to come on when you are on Line 1 or Line 4 of that one phone? None of the other phones cause the same problem? If not, did you try moving the trouble phone to another cable?

Perhaps it means that the intercom is turning on--thus lighting the intercom lamps--whenever you are on line 1 or line 4 or line 5. See if you can hear the relay inside the intercom clicking the same way when you push Line 1, Line 4 and intercom. This would mean it thinks there is a phone off-hook on line 5 (black-green/green-black pair).

Yes, the phone's issues show on the other phones, which don't have them. And I switched around the cables with the known 100% good one.

So you are saying I should trouble shoot those pairs. I did notice which I thought was quite weird, the red-green and violet-slate pairs (or is it white slate?) and the black-blue and black-orange and capped off.

Ben

poplar1

If the problem happens only when selecting a line on the green phone, regardless of which cable it's plugged in, and not when selecting a line on another phone, then I would look for some miswiring inside the green phone.

Also, I don't follow what you are saying about "capped off" leads--where are you seeing these?