News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another Dead Street PayPhone

Started by Fabius, August 03, 2017, 08:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL_as_needed

Anyone have luck getting their hands on on of the above mention ed pay-stations and bringing one home? Since the  original posting I have located a few locally that could be good adoption candidates.
TWinbrook7

Fabius

Myself and a forum member are hoping to rescue some. But we are waiting for better weather, most likely in the spring.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

tallrick

Now that I am back in the saddle I am going to push to get some more abandoned phones. The trick is finding an owner behind inept employees. Once I get another one I will take pics of the removal process. There's a full arsenal of tools here, hand tools, jackhammer, torch, sawzall, Bobcat- which is what I removed the phone that sits in my backyard with. The phone was left over from a demolished restaurant and sat by itself in a grassy lot. When I pulled it out there had to be 1/4 yard of concrete on this thing Used auger to drill holes around it and a chain to pull it out. The base was so old it had a steel conduit with #14 wires inside for the light. Pulled 50 feet of conduit and direct burial phone cable as well as a plastic splice box filled with some goo. Would have been easy to unbolt and go but the condition was I could have the phone as long as the base went too and the hole was filled in.

AL_as_needed

I have had a few old NYTEL marked phones on my radar over the last few months, mainly at gas stations but have not yet stopped by to see if they are still on the line. In my casual hunting I have noticed a lot of signs and mini booths around (but empty of phones) in parking lots. Maybe before winter I will try and hunt down an owner.

I like the bobcat method...rip and run!
TWinbrook7

Markgregory

Good luck, let us know if you get the phone.