News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wire & Hardware Source

Started by Lewes2, August 22, 2014, 10:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewes2

I'm thinking about rewiring my new to me 302 - I've studied and downloaded the relevant wiring diagrams and photos. 

Cannot find any specs however for the actual wires - assume it's solid copper with rubber or plastic insulation. But what size is it?  (More than one size?)

I see gold spades on the Old Phone Works but I have not found the actual wire. 

Help!

Chuck

dencins

You can find replacement wire here:

http://www.oldphoneworks.com/bulk-cordage-single-conductor.html

302's used cloth covered tinsel wire not solid copper.  Not sure if oldphoneworks still uses tinsel wire.  House of Telephones (Otis) used to make the wire and he used tinsel wire for single conductors but he retired and oldphoneworks took over the business and braiding equipment.

You may have trouble finding stranded or solid cloth covered wire.  Stranded would be easier to bend in some of the areas.  24 gauge should be heavy enough.

Even though the old wire may look worn, I have used the original wire without any problem on many phones.  I am not sure what benefit changing the wire will bring.  Many of the wires can not be replaced such as the wires to the capacitor.

Dennis Hallworth

Sargeguy

I would test the wires in question before replacing them.  If your wires are not functioning properly, the best thing to do is get a junker 302 for parts.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Babybearjs

chuck, why are you even thinking about rewiring a 302... these phones have excellent wire... I've never had to even touch the wire in a 302 unless there is a broken wire or broken spade. W.E. made these phones to outlast anyone alive... the wiring should be fine....
John

Kenton K

Unless the spades have broken off or the line cut, the only wire that should be in question are the handset and line cords. I believe in internal wiring is stranded.

Lewes2

OK, OK!  You all convinced me; I don't need to rewire with new wire. As I look at the current wiring, it just looks so fragile. But if you are even using old phone for replacement wiring, that says a lot.

I did order brown woven handset and line cord. The the currently has what appears to to be the original black rubber line cord but someone previously replaced the line cord with a black plastic wire. Looks cheap. Everything else looks original.

I didn't get a chance to "play" with the phone today. Building a hoist suspended from the overhead deck joists to rinse and dry our carpets that we wash. 

Never enough time for the fun stuff!

Chuck