and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Turquoise Restoration: how much H2O2 gel needed

Started by Slal, September 14, 2014, 06:21:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

Found very helpful topic here at

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7311.0

What wasn't mentioned was amount used.  16 or 32 oz. bottle for phone shown below? 

Also want to make sure same product.

thx

--Bruce

WesternElectricBen

You do not use a whole bottle for 1 phone, so the size does not matter. Because, you most likely won't want to thin out the whole tube, just measure it in a measuring cup before mixing with equal (or non equal) parts.

Ben

AE40FAN

Sally's beauty.  It's the larger bottle.  I would suggest V20 instead of V40 and let it sit in the hot sun for an hour.

Slal

Thanks.  Esp. on timing.  Had planned on putting it in covered tub & leaving it out in the Texas sun *all day*

Pinned topic does warn "don't over bleach!" 

Appreciate the help.

--Bruce

HarrySmith

It's not the "hot sun" that does the work, it is the UV rays. I usually leave mine in the South Florida sun for 6 or 8 hours. The key is keeping the creme even and the exposure even. I usually go out every hour to check, dabbing the crime with paintbrush to keep it spread out evenly and turn the container to give even exposure. Good Luck
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Slal

Thanks.  Niece liked the color so we made seller an offer that was in her price range.  Hopefully I'll learn how to restore UV damage.

Never can tell what you'll get on the eBay though. 

According to the dial, I think the phone is supposed to be pink.  ; ) 

Guesses as to what color might be?

Can't be turquoise if its handset/housing parts predate 1964 correct?

Might have better idea after bleach gel gets here.

thx

--Bruce

Kenton K

Yah, looks aqua to me. Esp from the inside shell view.

-Ken

Slal

That stuff's pretty amazing.  Three 'beauty' treatments = about 16oz + about 2oz. of "Armor-All" car polish/UV protectant.

Will have to think about cord.  Has bite marks in 1 place where kitten or puppy may have gotten to it.

Anyway, thanks for the help.  Niece might not have gotten a turquoise one, but am sure she'll be happy with results.

--Bruce

Slal

Might as well show the rest of it.  Difficult to photograph colors but inside housing & unexposed HS cord pretty much match inside. 

Wasn't supposed to be a "How do I?" topic, but...

Suggestions for cord with holes in rubber/vinyl and also the rust around feet?

1.) Safe to wind cord around 3/8" copper pipe, clean, then bleach also?

2.) For rust, 85% lab grade phosphoric acid (active chemical in naval jelly) expensive.  More economical suggestions welcome.

Thanks again for replies and also original topic about "Sally beauty treatment" for telephones. Would never have guessed. ; )

--Bruce 

Slal

Will answer own question & wrap it up.

Cord didn't do quite so well, but in pretty rough shape.  Did bleach & match up where HS is.  Hard to tell from photo, but compared to dirty line cord in behind-- what a difference 'Salon 40' makes.

Will rate 5 stars & review on their web site.  "Aqua-phone?  That a new hair style?" ; ) 

Total including cord ended up at about 24 ounces fwiw.