News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Number card retainer ring?

Started by Lewes2, September 28, 2014, 11:45:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lewes2

OK, so I know there is a trick to it but I have not been able to insert number card retainer ring, the one with the click top and bottom.  I've managed to scratch two dial plates and am reluctant to try for three.  It's obviously not a snap in. 

(this must really be simple as a search yielded nothing, and I am greatly embarrassed <g>)

So, what's the trick or procedure?

Thanks

chuck

TelePlay

Pictures would help. WE is quite simple to install. AE is another story.

Lewes2

Simple is good.  I like simple.  But I'm not seeing it here.  :)

This is a 4H dial in a 302.  Purchased aftermarket card ring from, I can't remember where.

Chuck

TelePlay

Should be as simple as putting the tab that is bent at a 90 degree angle in the bottom (8-9) finger wheel slot and then as carefully pressing the tab with the round bend in it toward the top (2-3) slot while pressing the round bend tab in toward the center of the dial with something firm and plastic until the round bend tab clears the slot and snaps into place.

It's just the opposite of taking the number card retainer off. Press in with something against the top tab while pulling up on the ring.

unbeldi

Conceptually simple, indeed, it can be harder at time to install these without paint damage without any kind of tool.

The round spring action retainer ring (aluminum in your picture) has little tabs where the tabs of the frame are and it can be hard to squeeze the upper one enough to slide into the slot on the finger wheel.

WECo made a tool for that.

You can try using the blade of a knife, lying flush on the finger wheel pushing against the upper tab while exerting downward pressure. This way you protect he finish of the wheel better.

I believe your assembly is till missing another metal foil disk that lays behind the dial card and before that spring ring. It comes in aluminum or brass.

Lewes2

Thanks, John and Unbeldi - I actually have that metal foil disk but omitted as the "stack" looked too thick - I'll put it back it and have another go at this.

/chuck

unbeldi

Yes, it can seem too thick. For it to fit best, the frame needs to be really flat, any bend in it from repeated or improper removal can impact the quality of fit on the wheel.

Lewes2

Yep!  With a bit of help from my very small needle nose pliers, it snapped right in.

/chuck

Kenton K

I like to use fingers, less chance of chipping paint.