News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric 685A and 211 Space Saver Phone.

Started by DarrenWGaransi, November 13, 2011, 12:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DarrenWGaransi

Hello Everyone,

Is is possible to connect the 1960's era 685A ringer/subset with the much earlier 211 space saver phone?  Any information would be greatly appreciated.

GG

Yes, you can always use a WE 425-series transmission network and C4A ringer with any Western Electric dial/handset combination you like.  Do the wiring in the manner of a WE 500 set, as to how the dial and handset and hookswitch components are hooked up to the network block in the subset.  This may require one or two runs of 4-pair cable between the 211 and the subset, but that's OK because they're mounted to fixed surfaces.

Many of us think of the combination of an older handset and a newer subset as being OK as a temporary expedient until you can find a ringer box of the era that matches the handset. 

DarrenWGaransi

Hello Gents,

Thanks so much again for the great information.  I've had the ringer/subset for quite a while and just got the idea in my head to look at space saver phones. 

Regards,

Darren.

DavePEI

Quote from: DarrenWGaransi on November 13, 2011, 08:55:56 AM
Hello Gents,

Thanks so much again for the great information.  I've had the ringer/subset for quite a while and just got the idea in my head to look at space saver phones. 

Regards,

Darren.

Hi Darren:

They do work great with 685A's. I used a 211 in my old office in the museum for many years connected with a 685A. I eventually stole the 685A to use with one of my payphones, but the 685A and 211 make great companions!

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001