News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help identify Siemens & Halske phone model

Started by Sergey Paganini, March 12, 2022, 02:17:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sergey Paganini

Hello everyone, I bought a phone set on Ebay a few months ago and I can't find its model. Presumably the apparatus of the 1920s. Around 1950, a dialer was slammed into it. Initially, it was inductor. Central Battery System

P.S. I condemn the invasion of my country's army into sovereign Ukraine and I think that Putin has gone mad... Unfortunately, we have a military dictatorship in Russia and any democratic demonstrations are brutally suppressed. I can only apologize to everyone for my country ..

countryman

Hi Sergey,
that does in fact not look like any other Siemens phone I've seen. The handset is similar to a German model 24. The hole pattern of the mouthpiece is unfamiliar again (it also sits at a wrong angle and may be a later addition or replacement?).
The phone body reminds a bit of Ericsson-influenced models, while the stepped base is unusual.
A number of today less known factories in Eastern Europe used Ericsson licenses or were influenced by Ericsson in some way. They were overrun in an earlier act of military aggression in Europe, and the Siemens company did not hesitate to grab what they could in that dark era.
My guess is, the object might have been manufactured in the Baltic region, Poland or Czechoslowakia (...) between 1940 and 1944. But that is only a guess.

Etienne

The dial seems to be based on a BTMC design, perhaps a 7040 (pictures below). If so, the spring is tensed by the fingerwheel. But the number plate is strange, looks like engraved plastic.
The handset is similar to SB/SA24 ones, but don't these have the retaining screw under the cord entry rather than on the side?
Didn't the phone originally have a crank on each side? Reminds me of the German OB05.
https://www.der-fernmelder.de/fernsprecher-feldfernsprecher/ob-05-mit-batteriekasten/

I have an out of topic, though very serious question about 3rd Reich time Siemens phones. During the war, Siemens exploited (weak word, that was murder trough labour) prisoners in Buchenwald, Flossenbürg, Neuengamme, Ravensbrück, Sachsenhausen, Gross-Rosen and Auschwitz.  How can one make sure they were not manufactured there?

Etienne

Got it!
https://www.meinbezirk.at/lilienfeld/c-lokales/kaumberg-vom-kurbeltelefon-zum-handy_a2079385#gallery=default&pid=10156663
LB telephone, Maker Siemens&Halske, around 1915.
Belongs to Gerhard Baumgartner, Historisches Telefonmuseum in Bad Vöslau (Austria).
https://www.badvoeslau.at/visitenkarte/baumgartner.html
https://www.bmgt.at/gerhard//25_telefone.htm
It did have 2 cranks, a horned mouthpiece, and a very nice Jugendstil card holder.

countryman

Sergey Paganini

Thanks a lot for your answers and help. Sorry for my English, I'm writing with the help of google translator.
I wrote to Siemens, they replied that the archives were lost and they did not know what kind of phone model it was. Searching for similar devices on the Internet, I found one model, obviously on the basis of which this device was made.   siemens & halske zb 06

Sergey Paganini

During this time, I restored the phone. Completely reassembled the electrical circuit as it was in a non-working condition. Changed the dialer to a more authentic one. I washed the chrome parts and washed the original fabric wires. The phone is fully functional. It can be used as a conventional desktop phone for the city telephone network with pulse dialing, as well as for an inductor call. I want to note that all the details in the device, except of course the dialer, which were not authentic and original during the factory production. The device is in very good condition.

Sergey Paganini

&

countryman

Congrats  :)
The nickel parts are in fact excellent and the mouthpiece now sits as it should  8)
Were the required screw holes provided to rotate it? I have a similar problem on one of my phones, but the existing screw holes do not allow a correct orientation.

Here's a link to the German forum with a picture of exactly your phone and a wiring diagram of a "normal" ZB 06:
https://www.wasser.de/telefon-alt/forum/index.pl?job=thema&tnr=100000000009537&seite=1&begriff=&tin=&kategorie=

It seems this is a rare model, apparently the design of the central battery (ZB) 06 was used for a local battery (OB) phone with a built-in magneto.

Sergey Paganini

Unfortunately, I did not understand what holes are we talking about? There were small holes on the body of the phone in the area where the crank handle comes out. I'm assuming they had a decorative trim mount in them. In this place, using the existing holes, I put a nickel-plated plug instead of the missing crank handle

Sergey Paganini

If you zoom in on this photo you will see these holes next to the crank handle

Sergey Paganini

I assembled the phone according to this scheme with an inductor, using all the original parts available in it.

FABphones

Добро пожаловать в CRPF

Well done. The phone is looking good.

Thank you for sharing your find. Do you have many vintage telephones?

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Sergey Paganini

Thanks for the warm welcome on the forum! There are several copies and mostly telephones of the USSR (1930-1950s.)
I know Russian models quite well, their wiring diagrams and factories. who produced them. If you have any questions about Russian and Soviet devices, contact me, I will help and prompt.

countryman

Quote from: Sergey Paganini on March 12, 2022, 12:57:49 PM
Unfortunately, I did not understand what holes are we talking about?

Sorry for my unclear description. I was talking about the mouthpiece or microphone cover or cap. It looks rotated by 90 degrees in your first picture. In the later one, it sits correctly. I only now noticed that not the entire cover was rotated, but only the hemispherical part, not the outer ring. All the metal transmitter caps I knew so far are one piece. That is the problem I have: The small screw holes (red arrow) in the handset body do not allow the cap to sit in a correct angle, and the inner part can not rotate independently. I had hoped to copy your solution but that won't work for me...