News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric C.O.T. (Wallphone) parts I.D.

Started by Jessssssss8, September 21, 2022, 01:37:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessssssss8

Hi everyone, I'm new here and I hope I'm posting this in the right place..

I recently came across this old rotary crank type phone and I've been scouring the Internet and I can't seem to identify it.

It says Western Electric on the handle of the phone. No other notable markings anywhere or inside other then a number on the back. I've tried to Google this as a model number but I can never find one that looks like mine with the rotary dial and same type of phone.

Can anyone please help me identify this??

HarrySmith

Welcome to the forum. It looks like it was a 415 wall phone at one point. Appears someone decided to "upgrade" it. I ma not a woodie expert but several here are. I am sure they will chime in with some details.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Yes, Harry, looks like a Northern 415H subset

Northern 415H Subset.jpg

that has been upgraded to include a newer dial (dial is similar to the Federal TA-45G-BT Dial but seems to be a newer version with the hardwired soldered leads, the white plastic pulse wheel, better layout of components and the black plastic housing)

Dial Comparison.jpg

and a mini-network installed

Mini-network.jpg

May also have had the hook apparatus added, something that would have been on the desk set or desk stand. Other than used as a subset, I don't know if the N415H was ever made as a magneto phone (without the dial, of course) and the hook and handset may be original to a magneto phone. Others should know.

The 415H wiring diagram does not show a dial

Northern 415H wiring diagram.jpg

A mini-network and dial on a magneto phone are not compatible, but I may be wrong. As you said, there are others on the forum that should know.

https://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/search?q=N415H&Search=

countryman

rdelius

This was rebuilt by Chicago old telephone co .The dial is off a telephone from Norway with an SC fingerwheel. The brass handset rings were custom made.We used standard flat modular wire and had a mill spin the cloth cover

TelePlay

Quote from: rdelius on September 21, 2022, 03:09:30 PMThis was rebuilt by Chicago old telephone co.

Is the magneto functional? Is it in the circuit and if so, what does it do or how is it used?

rdelius

The magnito rings the ringer

TelePlay

Quote from: rdelius on September 21, 2022, 07:34:51 PMThe magnito rings the ringer

Was this rebuilt to work as a common battery phone and if so, how is the magneto voltage kept off the POTS line?

rdelius

some were wired so the magneto switches the voltage out into the ringer while not back through the capacitor to the telephone line  .The magneto was just for fun .Some did back feed voltage through the capacitor into the telephone line

Jessssssss8

Wow all of this is so cool to learn. Thank you so so much!!!

I have a few more questions..

What year is this from?
What year was it possibly rebuilt?

Was it rebuilt or upgraded to be used.. or just rebuilt to look cool? (I hope that question made sense)

How can you tell it was rebuilt by old Chicago telephone Co?

Is it even worth anything? I'm keeping it regardless but just curious.

Does anyone need any other closer pictures to help identify or answer anything? I would be happy to take some more up close pictures if needed.

rdelius

I worked for COT for 25 years I rebuilt dials,repaired bakelite and asssembled telephones .This was most likely rebuilt mid 80s to early 2000s . The box is Northern Electric most likely 20s to 40s .These were built for use . Real wood and brass instead of the decorator sets with plastic and fake wood cabnets.

Jessssssss8

Quote from: rdelius on September 21, 2022, 11:34:52 PMI worked for COT for 25 years I rebuilt dials,repaired bakelite and asssembled telephones .This was most likely rebuilt mid 80s to early 2000s . The box is Northern Electric most likely 20s to 40s .These were built for use . Real wood and brass instead of the decorator sets with plastic and fake wood cabnets.

When you say built for real use, you mean this thing could possibly work? 🤔

rdelius

We built them to work, not just to look at ,\.Our market was not to collectors although we could build special things if requested.Telephones were sent to us for repair or restoration.

TelePlay

Quote from: rdelius on September 25, 2022, 09:53:16 AMWe built them to work, . . .

Robby,

Given one of the first images posted, I can see the black ringer wire going to L2 and the red ringer wire going to another point on the network that in some way gets back to L1 through a ring capacitor.

Where would you attach the line cord, directly to L1 and L2 or to some other point in the phone?

rdelius

I would try L1 and L2   . One side of the line through the switch and the other through the dial pulse contacts   L1 abd L2 are just tie points and you should see one side of the ringer and the capacitor on the other  .THe 500 circuit is simplified and not followed
d exactly