News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

2AA dial info needed

Started by Bill, February 07, 2021, 07:34:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

I find myself with a pair of 2AA dials on my desk (both dials have "2AA" stamped into the fingerstop) and questions in my mind. I'm lookng for some education on them, and if my questions are too many or too picky, please feel free to move on - or to point me to a more comprehensive source of information. Thanks.

The outer part of the two dials appear identical - very spartan. I understand these are called Rural Dials?

One dial says 150A in the center part, so I gather it is a type 150A. It also says III-48. Isn't 1948 kind of late for a #2 dial? Does this mean the original plate has been removed? If so, what was the proper plate, and what did it look like?

The other dial appears to be identical, but the center part of the plate is missing. What is this center piece, why is it separate, and what function does it serve?

Tell me about notched vs notchless. What does it mean, and why are they different?

The bigger question. There appear to be many sub-types of #2 dials. Is there a table somewhere that lists the sub-types, their differences, and their uses?

Thanks again

Bill

poplar1

The second picture has the original 132A number plate, which is notchless. It has 3 pins on the back.

The 150A number plate was originally designed for the 5HA dial around 1938, but it can also be used on 2-type and 4-type dials (backward compatible). The notch is necessary because starting with the oval-base D1 handset mounting (102/202), the 4H dial was recessed so the finger stop had to be attached inside the dial case rather than on the outside rim. The solid center part helps keep dust out of the mechanism.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RB

Hi Bill.
Wudareyou workin on? ;D
You seem to have 2 WE dials there...imho.
The numbers you mention, I believe refer to the number wheel, not the dial itself...I could be wrong.
Notched, may refer to the notch under the finger stop in one of your pics...not sure
Not sure why 2 different number plates, but the more I breath,
the more I discover many different kinds of dial variants were made.
I too, would like more info about dials. :)
On the back of each, should be a number further defining the dial.

Jack Ryan

This information is probably here already bit I couldn't find it. It was in a table but the table didn't post so it might be a mess.

Jack

Western Electric Dial Codes

Code Template: 2xy

x   Description of Dial Hardware

A   Contacts for separate receiver and transmitter (SPDT ON)
B   Single shunt ON contact as per #1 for series telephone
C   12 PPS dial for testing SXS CO equipment
D   Similar to E
E   Switchboard operation at 10 pps
F   Nominal 20 PPS (actually 18 PPS) switchboard dial
G   Switchboard operation at 10 pps
H   Contacts for handset operation

y   Description of Number Plate

A   Numbers only (rural)
B   Numbers and letters with "operator"
C   Numbers and letters - no "operator" or "long distance"
D   Numbers only with "long distance" around the zero
E   Numbers and some letters (W-R-J-M) – party line
F    
G   Used at Dallas Texas when Bell took over independent auto exchanges
H   Blank for coin collector with external daisy petal dial adapter

Bill

Poplar1, thanks for the notch information. As the old expression goes, "Light dawns over Marblehead!" The notch is related to the fingerstop! I was looking at all the weird cutouts around the center, and getting nowhere. Now I've got it - simple, and it makes sense.

Jack Ryan, thanks to you as well. I knew I had seen a table in the past, but like you, I couldn't find it. This time I'll stash it away in my Misc Telephone Stuff file. Thanks for re-creating it for me.

RB, you are exactly right. I need to sharpen up on the lingo for dial parts. I'm glad that you all could decipher what I meant.

Bill

Bill

I'm back, with another question on that pair of 2AA dials.

The number plates in the pictures could both be described as "Numbers, no letters, Operator". This description doesn't map into any of the 2xy dial types in Jack Ryan's table (above). Is there an entry missing in the table? Or am I expecting too much correlation between number plates and dial types?

I just dug up another dial with exactly the same notched number plate - "Numbers, no letters, Operator". The fingerstop on this dial says 2AE, but clearly that number plate doesn't match the 2AE description in the table.

I guess my real question is this. If I have a dial that is identified by fingerstop as a 2AE, but the number plate doesn't match the 2AE description, how do I know what kind of dial I've got?

Am I driving myself crazy for no real purpose? Probably ...

Thanks

Bill

paul-f

Quote from: Bill on November 18, 2022, 04:52:53 PMI'm back, with another question on that pair of 2AA dials.

The number plates in the pictures could both be described as "Numbers, no letters, Operator". This description doesn't map into any of the 2xy dial types in Jack Ryan's table (above). Is there an entry missing in the table? Or am I expecting too much correlation between number plates and dial types?

I just dug up another dial with exactly the same notched number plate - "Numbers, no letters, Operator". The fingerstop on this dial says 2AE, but clearly that number plate doesn't match the 2AE description in the table.

I guess my real question is this. If I have a dial that is identified by fingerstop as a 2AE, but the number plate doesn't match the 2AE description, how do I know what kind of dial I've got?
Bill,

This topic has spawned loads of past discussions. Under the theory that "a picture is worth 1000 words," in 2014 we summarized some of the info found in a chart here:

http://www.paul-f.com/weNumberPlates.html

Additions and corrections are welcome.

Your number plates match the y= "A" entry in the table above.

When you find a dial these days, it's unwise to trust the fingerstop markings, as the fingerstop or number plate could easily have been changed over the years.

The x= characteristic can be determined by observation from the list above, and the y= characteristic can be determined from the list (text) or link (photos) above.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

FABphones

Good informative page Paul. Thanks for the link.
 :)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

paul-f

You're welcome.

The forum discussion topic (shown on the site page) is:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10624.0
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Bill

Many thanks, Paul. I've spent  lot of time trying to decipher this issue. Should have known that you and the other Forum members would have the answers.

Bill