News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My new to me 1D2 rotary dial, and the easy way to open the top lock.

Started by bvr, August 28, 2013, 07:27:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bvr

Hi everyone,

I have been given a 1D2, of course it was locked when I got it. After some searching I found Mr. Haralson. With his guidance I managed to open it without damaging the phone itself. The coin vault door was sacrificed though.

This was the phone the evening I got it.

I knew drilling the upper lock core would be a real pain. So I used a 7/8" rotabroach cutter(annular).
I did not drill the core, I simply removed a ring of the lock body that retains the core.

This left me free to pop the core out. I rotated the core 30° and slipped a screwdriver in next to the core, with a little pressure, the core broke right at the back. I should've masked the case, but the damage was minimal.

At this point I was free to manipulate the levers. I had no luck with that, so I used the cutter to remove the levers.
That did the trick. It took me less than 5 mins to open the top half.

I made my own t-key and used that to open it up.

Ahhh... it even had a book of "out of service" stickers in it.

Not wishing to try drilling the lower core and attempt to manipulate it through the smaller hole, I sacrificed the coin vault door to the grinder and zip wheel. 10 mins and the coin box and lower lock were out.

So, now for the questions...
What "boards/parts" are in it?( I see many references to different ones)

What do I need to do to hook this to a pots line? I have access to one for testing purposes and I want to make sure it all works before I have the pots line in my house activated for service.

Is it as simple as hooking up tip & ring?

Anyways, I totally disassembled the phone, cleaned it inside and out, and the reassembled it.

I guess I got lucky, I found the history of this phone. I know what store it was installed in and what its original phone number was. It was always inside, there is not one bit of graffiti on it anywhere. It still has the area info cards too.

Thanks for any info
Bill

NOTE: The above images were linked, in 2013, to the forum. The hosting account has been suspended. The above image is no longer available. Another example of why images should be attached and not lined from an external image hosting site.

poplar1

Probably a 32A coin chassis. '

Yours has the original WE parts, not the newer "smart boards."

You should be able to connect tip and ring and use it for incoming and outgoing. However, since this model required special equipment in the central office, it won't require coins and it won't collect them or refund them.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

southernphoneman

nice pay phone,i can direct you to the name of a seller on ebay if you are interested in replacing the coin vault door.if you want the sellers name just pm me., southernphoneman

bvr

Quote from: poplar1 on August 28, 2013, 08:02:40 PM
Probably a 32A coin chassis. '

Yours has the original WE parts, not the newer "smart boards."

You should be able to connect tip and ring and use it for incoming and outgoing. However, since this model required special equipment in the central office, it won't require coins and it won't collect them or refund them.

Thank you. I was hoping for it to be this simple...yay!

bvr

Quote from: southernphoneman on August 28, 2013, 08:22:20 PM
nice pay phone,i can direct you to the name of a seller on ebay if you are interested in replacing the coin vault door.if you want the sellers name just pm me., southernphoneman

Thank you for the offer. I have made a trade for a coin door, it will be arriving soon.

southernphoneman

Quote from: bvr on August 28, 2013, 08:27:17 PM

Thank you for the offer. I have made a trade for a coin door, it will be arriving soon.
good deal,i hope you enjoy the phone.

bvr

Quote from: southernphoneman on August 28, 2013, 08:29:47 PM
Quote from: bvr on August 28, 2013, 08:27:17 PM

good deal,i hope you enjoy the phone.

Thank you, I'm sure I will.

poplar1

ESalter

This one actually isn't a 1D2, it's a 1C1, possibly 1A1.  The phone is stamped 1C, so that's what type it's supposed to be.  1C1 is rotary, 1C2 is touchtone.  However, your totalizer is a pretty rare one.  It doesn't appear to have a coin first/dial tone first switch like the totalizers in C type phones had.  Also, the instruction cards look to be coin first instructions.  Your chassis board appears to be an earlier 31A that has the tone oscillator output test points.  All that being said, from what I can see, I'd call this a 1A1.

Try hooking dial tone to tip and ring, I bet it'll be dead when off-hook.  If that's the case, stick a quarter or dime in it, see if you get dial tone then.  That'll prove it's set up for coin first.

That's a very nice phone, you're lucky to have it.

---Eric

bvr

Quote from: ESalter on August 28, 2013, 09:47:32 PM
This one actually isn't a 1D2, it's a 1C1, possibly 1A1.  The phone is stamped 1C, so that's what type it's supposed to be.  1C1 is rotary, 1C2 is touchtone.  However, your totalizer is a pretty rare one.  It doesn't appear to have a coin first/dial tone first switch like the totalizers in C type phones had.  Also, the instruction cards look to be coin first instructions.  Your chassis board appears to be an earlier 31A that has the tone oscillator output test points.  All that being said, from what I can see, I'd call this a 1A1.

Try hooking dial tone to tip and ring, I bet it'll be dead when off-hook.  If that's the case, stick a quarter or dime in it, see if you get dial tone then.  That'll prove it's set up for coin first.

That's a very nice phone, you're lucky to have it.

---Eric

Eric,

Thank you for the info. I have 1 try Friday to test this. Will depositing a coin allow it to work? If not what will I need to do just to test it?

Thanks again everyone, great forum.
Bill

G-Man

If the area code and prefix were known then it might have been worthwhile to contact Paul Vaverchak for a key to the upper housing.

ESalter

If it is set up for coin first operation, inserting a coin(or however many it takes to reach initial rate, probably 10 cents) will step the totalizer around and give you dial tone.  If it's set up for dial tone first(my guess is it's not) you will get dial tone right away and it will act just like a normal phone with no coins needed.  Keep in mind, if you put coins in it, they will get stuck at the coin relay and continue to pile up until released.  You'll need to manually push the coin relay armature in to release them, then they'll fall to either the cash box or coin return.

---Eric

Dave203

That's a very nice phone bvr!
Most likely from NYNEX being from the buffalo ny 716 area. I have a 1C also, but its from 212 area code and is a dialtone first phone.

I would say hook up your red/green here where I circle mine and see what happens..

Our instruction cards on the top are slightly different also, i just want to include another photo if I may.

I am very curious how the coin first phones work as I have never used one or seen one up close and ours are so much alike.. This is my first and only payphone.

poplar1

According to the instruction card on Bill's phone, it is coin first and 10 cents.

I don't understand why the totalizer in Bill's phone is marked 1A instead of P-15E579 since it looks just like the one posted here in a 1A1 Pay Phone:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=9477.0

ESalter

I completely agree.  In Dave203's photo you can see there's a switch on his totalizer that selects dial tone first or coin first.  Bill's totalizer doesn't seem to have that switch, but like was mentioned, why is it marked as a 1A then?  I'm anxious to find out what it acts like when he puts dialtone on it.

---Eric