"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

ebaY's "Mr Helpful"

Started by Sargeguy, May 11, 2009, 09:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sargeguy

You just cut out this link:

http://tinyurl.com/lu9zp5   ( dead link 02-15-21 )
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dennis Markham

Good.  So we're back in business then.

bingster

Speaking of all the Mr Helpfuls, there was a red 1950s 500 with both original straight grey cords up last week.  The opening bid was $100.  So many people barraged the seller with questions about doing BIN deals for more than that amount, that he upped the opening bid to $250.  The phone then went unsold.
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

He priced himself right out of business.  I wonder if he contacted the highest bidder and sold it?  It hasn't been re-listed as far as I've seen.

bingster

He mentioned in his explanation of the higher opening bid that he'd keep it if it didn't sell at the new price.  Said he liked the loud ring carrying through the house.  Whether that's true or not is anybody's guess.  It wouldn't surprise me a bit if it's on it's way to a new owner right about now.
= DARRIN =

McHeath

Would 250 have been a fair price for that phone?  I recall looking at it as well.

Dennis Markham

I wouldn't have been surprised to see it sell for $250 had it not started there, but that is on the high end.  I think the gray cords, especially the straight gray cord adds about $90-$100 to the price of a regular soft plastic red 500 of this vintage.   I wonder how the fact that he kept jumping the starting price effected the sale.  Maybe had he just put a reserve and a low starting bid he would have done better.

This one (attached photos) I picked up on eBay in late 2007.  It was not in as good condition cosmetically (as the current one on eBay) when I got it.  It is dated April 1955, just a few days from being another "birthday" phone for me.  I don't remember the exact price I paid but I think it was in the $150 range plus shipping.

I put together a Picasa album on the refurbish process for those that may be interested.  Maybe I have posted this before, I don't recall.

http://tinyurl.com/3uxphe   ( dead link 02-15-21 )

Dan

Love the straight cords in grey. Dennis, since you are THEE 500 guy, have you seen more straight cords on old soft plastic 500's or more curly grey ones? Thanks
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

Dennis Markham

Coiled cords are much more common.  When I see straight cords on 500 sets they are usually on black phones from 1955 or before.  I would say just based on my experience in the past few years in order of rarity, from most rare to common they are:

1:  Straight handset cords in color (i.e. yellow on a yellow phone, brown on Mahogany, etc).

2:  Neutral Gray straight handset cords (and matching mounting cords).

3:  Coiled neutral gray handset cords (often with neutral gray mounting cords).

4:  Straight black handset cords on black 500 sets.

5:  Matching colored coiled handset cord with matching mounting cord.

6:  Then you get into your modular junk, er...I mean cords.  :)

That's probably close to the progression of when these cords were released.  Probably the gray straight handset cords came on scene prior to or at the same time as the matching colored straight cords.

Recently I was able to pick up an original, never been used H4BG straight handset cord in Mahogany, dated III 55.  It will dress up my Mahogany set.  One of the collectors on the TCI/ATCA was offering a few that he came upon for sale.  They went fast and I was lucky to get one.

Another reason to be a member of one or both of these great phone clubs.  You won't find deals like that on eBay.

I don't know about being THE 500 guy but I spent more of my time playing with the early 500 sets than anything else.  I'm kind of partial to the 50's sets.  

JorgeAmely

Here is a case of ivory color with ivory straight cords (ivory mounting cord as well). I have seen a case of a Rose Beige cord on a Rose Beige phone.

Jorge

Dan/Panther

The straight handset cords may be more desirable, but it sure makes displaying them much more diffecult, simple because I'm a symmetry nut, and like the cords to lay in some form of order. So I find that all of my straight cord phones have twist ties on the cords.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Jorge, that is one beautiful Ivory 500!

McHeath

Wow, what a nice ivory 500!

contraste

Dennis and Jorge - inspirational photos of your fantastic restoration skills.

Dennis Markham

Thank you Contraste.