"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help identifying Genie Phone

Started by dsk, July 18, 2014, 11:22:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dsk

Hi
Got this one from some friends. I remember this as one of the first you could pay extra to get, just as the monopoly collapsed here.   

The number card has the last version of the telco label before deregulation. The smallest label (under)  has the Electrisk Bureau sign, and a production date 73.81
The other one has a serial number.
The ringer volume button has markings HI  OFF LO (English language)

May it be an American, just re-labeled? or??

dsk

twocvbloke

Looks like a BT Genie to me, made by A. P. Besson and Autophon:

http://www.britishtelephones.com/tsr8023.htm

paul-f

I believe the Genie was originally made by DecoTel, which became part of ATC, which became part of Comdial.

They were very good at merchandising them through anyone who would sell them, including the Bell System.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Matilo Telephones

I think they were also made in the UK (by STC) and in Germany.

Are the words serie and nummer Norwegian? Because they are the same in Dutch. PTT had them in their collection, but I think they were made in Germany.

My PTT version does not have the same stickers.
Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones

unbeldi

Quote from: Matilo Telephones on July 23, 2014, 06:48:49 PM
I think they were also made in the UK (by STC) and in Germany.

Are the words serie and nummer Norwegian? Because they are the same in Dutch. PTT had them in their collection, but I think they were made in Germany.

My PTT version does not have the same stickers.
Serie and Nummer are definitely German.

Nummer = antall ?

dsk

Serie nummer:  serial number, as the id number stamped on a car's frame etc,
P. dato:  Date of production.

For me these looks Norwegian, but as you say other may use the same terms.

dsk

markosjal

The round touch tone pads always make me lose interest
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

Here are some pictures of the one I have.

ma_xyz

I'm a bit late to the party but perhaps this information is interesting for future reference.

In the early eighties a copy (I assume and hope with authorization) was manufactured for Swiss PTT by Gfeller in Bern/Switzerland.
(The Telephony Dept. of Gfeller later merged into Autophon and then into Ascom).

The Set was called "New York".

The Board is Gfeller developed and produced.

As far as I know only Dial Pulse sets were manufactured. At least I never saw a DTMF one.

On the case bottom there is an embossed imprint: "A Comdial Company" ... I did never realize before taking Pictures today ... Perhaps the Casings were bought from the US?

Some Pictures attached.

Quote from: ma_xyz on May 07, 2018, 04:03:11 PM
I'm a bit late to the party but perhaps this information is interesting for future reference.

In the early eighties a copy (I assume and hope with authorization) was manufactured for Swiss PTT by Gfeller in Bern/Switzerland.
(The Telephony Dept. of Gfeller later merged into Autophon and then into Ascom).

The Set was called "New York".

The Board is Gfeller developed and produced.

As far as I know only Dial Pulse sets were manufactured. At least I never saw a DTMF one.

On the case bottom there is an embossed imprint: "A Comdial Company" ... I did never realize before taking Pictures today ... Perhaps the Casings were bought from the US?

Some Pictures attached.

You're never to late to the party, new information is always welcome.  ;)

AE_Collector

Here's my Genie in the "Sold" topic. A nice very dark blue colour. It seemed quite well made. Someone else is enjoying it now.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=19626.msg200390#msg200390

Terry

paul-f

Quote from: ma_xyz on May 07, 2018, 04:03:11 PM

Thanks for the photos!  It's great to see how Genies spread geographically.

For reference, here is the bottom text from a US set...

The text changed as the company changed hands several times.

<edit>

More info here:  http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=16092.msg166643#msg166643
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

ma_xyz

Quote from: paul-f on May 07, 2018, 07:44:02 PM
For reference, here is the bottom text from a US set...
Cool - how look the guts of an US version?

FABphones

Here's a photo of the underneath of my two Genies from British Telecom. Interestingly in their booklets they never released one in Black, but I have one in Black. Never seen another.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

dsk

Thank you for all information.
I guess I have to open up mine to look at the pcb. Duffy's phone are the one I feel is most equal to mine.
Mine is at our cabin so it may take some time...

dsk