"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What the Heck Is Connected to This Receiver?

Started by Rexophone, November 01, 2017, 04:21:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic


This Kellogg receiver was recently on eBay.  I noticed that it had some kind of steel stopper in the end but decided that it should be easy to remove so I purchased it.  It was indeed easy to remove the piece but I am dumbfounded as to why it was there in the first place.

As you can see the metal splits into a Y, bends around the magnet assembly, then finally has small studs which fit where the cord connections would fasten down.

When I first saw the receiver I assumed the steel was just something someone stuck into the receiver, but obviously this is a much more elaborate piece. 

Have you ever seen this before?



If I remember correctly this is used on pipes to detect running water. Often seen in the original box.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905


Thanks Tom.  I thought of that but I believed that those had a metal probe which connected directly to the diaphragm with no magnets, coils, and electrical terminals in the way.  But it could be.