"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

W.E. Apartment Phone - with Free Wasp Nest

Started by FABphones, October 01, 2019, 01:20:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

My latest challenge. Another 'Rat Phone'.  ;D
This phone had not been opened in many years (just how I like my projects).

The Wasp Nest was so old it had mummified. And check out the grime on those gongs!  :o

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

Lovely! And eco friendly  :)
In fact it looks complete and has a story to tell.

FABphones

Quote from: countryman on October 01, 2019, 02:48:22 PM
.....it looks complete and has a story to tell.

I believe I was the first to open this in many a year, the screw was seized tight.

----------

Working my way through the mostly unidentifiable debris looking for info and dates I found:

653BC (stamped, inside front)
1941 (101A Induction Coil)
1948 (earpiece element)

The wiring diagram is missing. I did a CRPF search and found a copy of a 653BC diagram so I'll print it out and pop it in there. I can see where the original used to be near the hinge, if anyone has a photo of exactly how it should be placed, that would be helpful.

The bulldog transmitter is a slightly later Western Electric update. I've also seen photos of this phone with an additional box below, which I would really like to find - but chances are slim in the EU.

What is the little hook on the right side of the exterior for? A place to hang the earpiece during a call?

Overall the phone is in fairly poor condition but it has potential. The wiring is quite brittle. The endcap on the earpiece was tightly on and needed coaxing off with the help of WD40 and a wrench strap. A dried on film has managed to coat and get into every Bakelite nook of this phone. You can see the grime crumbling around the thread where I removed the endcap.

The dial is a 1939, 5H. I can't see any additional vermilion stamps. The dial turns but is in need of attention, a very begrudging clack clunk. I won't be doing anything with this for now as I need my new workbench set up. I want to do it properly with a complete dial strip down. For that I need an organised space and no distractions.

The enamel numberplate is worn. A replacement enamel numberplate is something else I need to look out for.

...To be continued.

countryman

Stuck caps are the norm with fine, tightly tolerated threads, nothing to worry about  ;)
The film that peels off where WD40 was applied. I wonder if this could be the same effect that I often observed when cleaning old bakelite, a brownish layer coming off. Might the penolic bonding material dissolve at the surface, and come off?

FABphones

Quote from: countryman on October 01, 2019, 03:41:10 PM
....might the penolic bonding material dissolve at the surface, and come off?

In my experience it is usually just years of accumulated surface dust and dirt, a ground in film left by greasy sweaty hands, and everything else daily life has thrown at the phone.

I've cleaned up so much Bakelite now I can see and feel the differences between country of manufacture, guess its decade and usually be able to explain a bit about it. But there is always a new challenge to be found and these are the things that help to teach me more. I will always have much to learn.    :)

HarrySmith

Just came across a similar phone on eBay. There is a picture of the diagram but it is not very clear. Might help with positioning. I have one of these also with the other "box" you mentioned. Topic here: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=20185.msg206744#msg206744
No picture of the diagram though. If I can get to it I will see about adding one soon.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Western-Electric-Wall-Phone-Model-653-A/193135270956
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Butch Harlow

Apparently wasps liked these. I just went through a 1929 made 533. It too was full of mud dauber nests.
Butch Harlow

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on October 01, 2019, 04:34:08 PM
...There is a picture of the diagram but it is not very clear. Might help with positioning...

That looks to have been attached to the side and front inner on all sides, which is what I needed to know. I wasn't sure if it was folded. I have the diagram and will add it in. Thanks for that.

Ktownphoneco

Here's a copy of a W.E. 653-BA schematic I have on file in my schematics folder.     Not sure what the second suffix letter indicates, but I believe 653-A was a manual set, and 653-B was a dial setr for automatic service.

Jeff Lamb

FABphones

Quote from: Ktownphoneco on October 01, 2019, 07:25:05 PM
.....Not sure what the second suffix letter indicates.....

Thanks :) copy of the schematic I found for the BC below. I will keep a copy of yours in with it for reference.

I believe BC indicates a party line phone:

'The BC, according to the BSP was wired for ring-side party line ringing'.

ETA, attachment and link to more info:

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?PHPSESSID=bb4773256bde51c061dcc971ab7663fb&topic=10240

LarryInMichigan

I have restore at least a few radios with mud dauber nests in them.  Removing all the mud was quite a project.

Larry

tubaman

@FABphones,
That's a neat phone - certainly in barn fresh condition though. :o
Having seen your previous work on here I'm sure it'll be looking great in no time at all.
:)

FABphones

I quite like the old worn in patina of this apartment phone so I didn't want to take this restoration too far. I hope to put it to use in my workshop which is being built out of every reclaimed piece of wood I can find about the place. A 'reclaimed' phone will fit right in.

Getting started, the inside of this first received a vacuum (there was a lot of unknown debris in there and I didn't want to start blowing it out into the room via compressed air). This was followed by an anti-bac wipe. It then received the compressed air blow through. Next, another anti-bac wipe out, a spray with electronic board cleaner and a quick buff of any bare metal. The transmitter hinge had seized but the WD40 freed it up again nicely without any effort from me, so it now adjusts beautifully again. I was however, unsuccessful removing the gongs. I will try again another day, there are a few small areas I can't reach properly with them insitu. Looking back at the photos, I will give the inside bottom of the case front a quick spray with black paint too.

I anti-bac wiped the phone's exterior and then went a bit old school in my method. I wiped the case thoroughly inside and out with a liberal application of WD40 (rust inhibitor). In doing so the remaining black paint came to the surface better. This then received a quick buff. There was white paint on the bottom of the case. This was removed using 2000 grit wet/dry sandpaper. The phone was left overnight then received a final polish on the exterior using Turtle Wax Black Car Polish.

The Bakelite parts all received an anti-bac wipe, a Brasso/000 wire wool clean and then were given a polish. The transmitter was the hardest to clean (front and back). A former user appears to have been a heavy smoker. I had to start over three times over in order to bring it up to an acceptable level of clean.

I like the end result on this, but before mounting I will definitely make a backboard for it to prevent it from touching the wall. There are a few examples on here of these mounted, and I quite enjoy a bit of carpentry...

AT2796

Wow!
Night and day already. I love these phones. It's probably my favorite in my little collection.
Andy

tubaman

Very nice work!  :)

This is what I hate about this forum, as I now need one of those (and I don't generally collect wall phones). ;)