News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

British Telecom Phonecards

Started by ....., October 26, 2020, 07:04:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I've had these cards for awhile now that a friend gave to me. They are British Telecom payphone phonecards.

FABphones

I remember them well, when they came out it was very handy to have one. If I recall correctly 10 units cost £1, 20 units cost £2, 40 units cost £4 etc (am sure someone will put me right if I have remembered that wrong). They were also available with (usually promotional) images on them.

More info here:
http://www.telephonecardcollector.com/bt-phonecard-current-value.htm

If you choose a nice frame, you could wall mount them for display. I did similar with my set of French phone cards, I found two sets, and mounted the front view and reverse views next to each other. Where you have two cards the same you could do similar.

The higher unit cards I think although widely available, sold less due to the outlay up front buying them. Me and my mates mostly bought the lower denomination cards as for us they were for emergency use rather than everyday use.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Quote from: FABphones on October 26, 2020, 07:21:31 AM
If you choose a nice frame, you could wall mount them for display. I did similar with my set of French phone cards, I found two sets, and mounted the front view and reverse views next to each other. Where you have two cards the same you could do similar.

Great minds think alike! LOL

I have these 4 mounted in a double sided frame for display. The extra ones, I have been passing on to other collectors.  :)

countryman

For a short while phone cards were a collectible item.
Today, just a nice souvenir. Who would have thought that when they appeared 30 years ago.

Jim Stettler

I have some cool ones with photos of antique phones.
I also have a couple clear telephone sport cards. These are a cross between a sports card and a telephone card, and they are clear.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

FABphones

Nice display stands, not seen that style before.

Quote from: Jim Stettler on October 26, 2020, 08:41:54 AM
I have some cool ones...

Photos please.  :)

Quote from: countryman on October 26, 2020, 08:13:57 AM
For a short while phone cards were a collectible item...

Folks still collect them now but prices have dropped immensely, even so, some are still priced far more than I would want to pay if I collected them (I don't), but I do have a few complete sets which I think display nicely alongside the phones.

This set I bought as they have images of phones and are appropriate for my property history (all packed away at the mo so these the best photos I could find).

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble