"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

I'm not a radio guy but....

Started by Pourme, February 10, 2021, 06:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

This was in one of my regular haunts for $20.00.
A quick google told me it is 1950 model. It is brown Bakelite and it doesn't work.
I bought it.

cont...
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

~

I tucked the cord out of the way, I don't care to get it working. I wanted to clean it up and display it with my phones. It cleaned up nicely, no chips, no cracks. It's not the fanciest model but it's small enough to fit on a shelf with a phone. It works in really well.

And the center dial design looks a lot like my truck logo!

Well worth $20.00 to me!
Benny

TelePlay

It's a Motorola 5H11 (the last "1" indicates it walnut colored, 2 is ivory, 3 is green)

https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/motorola_5h11_5_h_11_chhs_256_hs25.html

Looks great with your phones!

RB

Benny, that is a sweet display there!  ;)
You could put a small blue tooth speaker behind it,
and it would sound just like it was commin out of that cool old box! 8)
Well done all the way around there.

Key2871

Yes a great display piece. Looks great with phones of that era.
KEN

Pourme

Quote from: Key2871 on February 10, 2021, 07:33:06 PM
Yes a great display piece. Looks great with phones of that era.

Thanks, I figured since it's a 1950 radio and the continental came in the early 50's they were a good match.
Benny

Key2871

Yea I like the theme thing with the old radio and old phone they look great in pictures it brings me back years.
KEN

Scott

LarryInMichigan

Yes, that is a very nice MCM radio.  I bought one at the local flea market a year or two ago.  Making yours work shouldn't be terribly difficult.  I managed to make mine work.

youtube video

Larry

Key2871

I would think transistor is a better way to go tubes get hot and kill plastics.
KEN

FABphones

Nice work cleaning that up. Those red control knobs really stand out now.
Do you have a red 50's or earlier phone to display to the left of it?

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Key2871 on February 10, 2021, 09:22:51 PM
I would think transistor is a better way to go tubes get hot and kill plastics.

It is quite common for tube radios, especially from the 1950s, to be warped, cracked, and/or discolored on the top from the heat of the tubes, especially above tubes like the 50C5, 35W4, and other especially hot tubes.  Certain Motorola models are known for that problem.  Some radios had asbestos pads or foil attached to the inside of the cabinet above the hot tubes.  My TravLer T201 has heat shields over the 35W4 and 50C5, presumably to prevent the polystyrene above them from warping or melting.

Larry

Babybearjs

well, I found an ols 1930's SEARS Silvertone console unit in the park I live in.... in extremely bad condition, the chassis is totalled and the amp had a rats nest inside of it.... the mice did a great job on the wiring.... chewing through the cloth insulation and basically ruining the set... I showed it to a friend, and we both agreed that the unit would have to be completely broken down and all the wiring and componets wouls have to be replaced, IF you can even find them.... I disconnected the power cord and am planning on donating the radio part of the unit to a electronics recycler who also teaches electronics to school students. the tubes alone are worth saving! hopefully someone will take it and do something with it.... it even has the original speaker, which will be donated too...
John

Doug Rose

Very nice Benny....it is sharp looking. Nice add to your collection my friend...Doug
Kidphone

Key2871

I know all too well Larry, I was just stating transistors are a better way to preserve the case from damage.
I think it could be changed without taking away from the look of a great old piece.
KEN