News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Is this a Standard TT Upgrade?

Started by Doug Rose, September 11, 2021, 03:11:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I have seen these around and bought it at Brimfield. Is this just a common phone?...>Doug
Kidphone

poplar1

This is the standard Northern 2554. They did not make the Miniwall 2554s (which are really Princess wall phones, without illumination).

ITT and Stromberg-Carlson made both Miniwalls (2554) and large ones like this one ( coded 3554).

WE Service Centers did convert some 554s to a Touch-Tone version like this one. However, we couldn't lease them here in Atlanta because Mr. Williams of Southern Bell did not authorize their use here.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Doug Rose

Kidphone

CanadianGuy

I've seen plenty of these over the years, probably because I'm in Northern Telecom territory :)

Doug Rose

Quote from: CanadianGuy on September 12, 2021, 11:31:49 PM
I've seen plenty of these over the years, probably because I'm in Northern Telecom territory :)
thanks....I thought it might have been something. Seller knew...as it was only $2...still an Ivory wall phone it was well worth it....thanks for your education...Doug
Kidphone

MaximRecoil

That's the design that Western Electric should have gone with for their standard Touch-Tone wall phone IMO. I don't like the tiny, cramped-inside, single-gong ringer 2554 at all. I'd like to have a black 3554, or at least one of those dial bezels in black so I can convert one of my 554s.

I wish they would have gone with the 500 shell for the 2500 too like they originally intended, since I think it's way better looking than the boxy 2500 shell.

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: MaximRecoil on August 19, 2022, 08:47:50 PMThat's the design that Western Electric should have gone with for their standard Touch-Tone wall phone IMO. I don't like the tiny, cramped-inside, single-gong ringer 2554 at all. I'd like to have a black 3554, or at least one of those dial bezels in black so I can convert one of my 554s.

I wish they would have gone with the 500 shell for the 2500 too like they originally intended, since I think it's way better looking than the boxy 2500 shell.
I have a red SC 3554.  I like it much better than the mini-wall.

Mike

markosjal

Interesting to note , that I have seen two variations on those dial plates. The offset/centering of the keypad is different on the two.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish