News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric Bell System 438a Handset Repair Tool

Started by Doug Rose, December 27, 2021, 08:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I was lucky to find this on the cheap, these are really hard to come by especially in this really nice condition....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224755407927
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I had that tool on my watch list. Lucky for you I was busy and forgot to check it. If I had you probably would not have gotten it that cheap! Good price for a handy tool.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Harry.....must have been a different auction as this was a BIN for $25 and it just came on. I was very lucky, right place right time...Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

It was the same tool & same seller. They must have changed it?! There were no bids when I put it on to watch.
I even got a notice from eBay it was no longer available.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

Kidphone

FABphones

Quote from: HarrySmith on December 27, 2021, 04:37:59 PM
It was the same tool & same seller. They must have changed it?...

Possibly the seller placed the listing then edited later to add the $25 buy it now. Best Offer was also enabled.

Start time: Thursday, 23-Dec-21   13:47:37 UTC
End time:   Thursday, 23-Dec-21   15:02:15 UTC

16 page views.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Kidphone

oldguy

Gary

Doug Rose

Hey Gary.....it removes the spit cup from E1 handset. The pins fit in the holes on the E1. It is a must have. My pins were in need to be replaced so this was a much needed piece. A set just sold on eBay for $305. They are tough to find....Doug
Kidphone

HarrySmith

I had that set on watch too. WOW! Over $300! Way too much for me.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

tubaman

$300 is ridiculous and must be 'collectable value' as you could make your own tools for the job for way less than that.

poplar1

BSP reference:
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Note that by 1954, at least, the 439A tool was not required -- just one or two 438As. (Paragraph 2.06)

The 514B tool (not the 438A or 439A) was used to loosen the transmitter cap or receiver cap for all types of handsets.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

HarrySmith

Quote from: tubaman on December 28, 2021, 12:33:33 PM
$300 is ridiculous and must be 'collectable value' as you could make your own tools for the job for way less than that.

Yes, you are correct. IIRC there is a topic on here somewhere with specific details on making a great tool with the pins. I have a couple of strap wrenches which have worked fine for me.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

David....I have never seen a 514B tool. I do have a NOS 514A, the cloth grip is as hard as a piece of cement.

I still use a 438A to remove spit cups and loosen the rings. It is a much needed tool for me.

Strap wrenches work fine for F1s etc, but I have had no luck on E1s with them..Doug
Kidphone