News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric Dial?????

Started by RDPipes, July 16, 2022, 04:57:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDPipes

I'm assuming this is a Northern Electric dial seeing I've never seen one before.
Had a plastic adapter around it but, I removed it because it was split and I need to repair it.
As far as the dial I've looked and can't find any instructions about removing the finger wheel.
Dadburn thing seems to be screwed on from the opposite side with 3 screws so you must have to take the dadburn entire dial apart just the replace or clean the finger wheel and or face plate, I know how to take it off the face plate but, without knowing how to take the finger wheel off I'm unable to do that either. Who ever designed this should have their head examined.

rdelius

RDPipes

Quote from: rdelius on July 16, 2022, 05:02:30 PMNorth notNorthern 

Okay, North Electric, gotcha, so how does one remove the finger wheel?

rdelius

I worked on dials for 25 years and I couldnt figure it out myself .Steve Hiltz is the expert

TelePlay

Quote from: rdelius on July 16, 2022, 05:15:55 PMI worked on dials for 25 years and I couldnt figure it out myself.

Interesting dial. Similar but different from AE dials. This one does not seem to have a governor unless it is under the finger wheel, on the other side.

5 terminals, two strapped together, just like AE.

Seems like a real easy dial to take apart and clean, at least this side.

This image has the working parts visible from the back side annotated.

RDPipes

Quote from: rdelius on July 16, 2022, 05:15:55 PMI worked on dials for 25 years and I couldnt figure it out myself .Steve Hiltz is the expert

Well, I reckon I'll do what I can without pulling the finger wheel.
Had the number retaining ring off and that's what told me it wasn't coming off the conventional way, LOL!
Unlike another I heard about the ring snapped right back on thankfully.
Just wanted to clean it up presentable before I file it with the other dials because the phone I removed has got a nice replacement.

RDPipes

Quote from: TelePlay on July 16, 2022, 05:24:29 PMInteresting dial. Similar but different from AE dials. This one does not seem to have a governor unless it is under the finger wheel, on the other side.

Yeah, It looks like it......and that's where that stops, LOL!
Had to cut a screw driver just to remove the nuts holding the face plate on.
Those are those perfectly round nuts with a slot through them, only the bolt comes through to the top
so you need a slotted straight blade driver with a slot as wide as the bolt to get them off and on.
That's was before I found out that they hold the face plate on, LOL!
Not a job I would relish specially when I won't even be using that dial.

kleenax

Quote from: TelePlay on July 16, 2022, 05:24:29 PMInteresting dial. Similar but different from AE dials. This one does not seem to have a governor unless it is under the finger wheel, on the other side.

There is a little sliding "door" that houses the governor; it's in there!
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

TelePlay

Quote from: kleenax on July 16, 2022, 09:24:53 PMThere is a little sliding "door" that houses the governor; it's in there!

Had to one there somewhere. Is it the AE type of something different?

I realize there is more to this dial than shown, the gear train for example. I doubt anyone will take one apart to show all of its parts, including the governor behind a sliding door. Images of the other side with the number card holder and then finger wheel removed would have added a lot to the knowledge of this dial.

RDPipes

Quote from: TelePlay on July 16, 2022, 09:38:56 PMHad to one there somewhere. Is it the AE type of something different?

I realize there is more to this dial than shown, the gear train for example. I doubt anyone will take one apart to show all of its parts, including the governor behind a sliding door. Images of the other side with the number card holder and then finger wheel removed would have added a lot to the knowledge of this dial.

This may be helpful to you sir. http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=3619.0

tubaman

These are certainly interesting dials. I have this NOS one I picked-up some years ago. The governor door is stamped "5 31" - May 1931?
All I need now is a phone to go with it.  ;D

RDPipes

Quote from: tubaman on July 17, 2022, 08:09:25 AMThese are certainly interesting dials. I have this NOS one I picked-up some years ago. The governor door is stamped "5 31" - May 1931?

Nice one! Mine is marked the same there. But, I believe the ink stamp of 8 41 on mine as I've seen on others with a ink stamp as a date here.
Also has a ink stamp of 49 that could be the dial number, unknown really.

FABphones

How does that governor door open?
Cute.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on July 17, 2022, 08:09:25 AMThese are certainly interesting dials. I have this NOS one I picked-up some years ago. The governor door is stamped "5 31" - May 1931?
Early Stromberg Carlson phones had North dials before SC started to make there dials. I have also seen them on Kellogg phones, but that could have been a rogue dial on the phone. SC I am sure of as well as the early Norths before they transitioned to AEs....Doug
Kidphone

TelePlay

I don't have a clue of what that has to do with this dial in this topic but a prior reply is interesting in that it shows how the governor is tucked away with the main gear (missing in the image) meshes with the worm gear on the governor and somehow the main spring gear around the main spring shaft.

It almost seems the main meshes face to face instead of edge to edge to convert spring torque 90 degrees from vertical to the horizontal main gear (not shown but the axle point and depression for the main gear is seen in the image).

There is a lot more intricate engineering to this dial, more complex, than most. At least there is access to the governor so that the fly wings can be worked on to adjust dial speed.

A chronological photo display showing step by step how the dial is disassembled would be interesting and helpful. Granted, there aren't a whole lot of these out there and most people won't attempt disassembly but for the knowledge base, it would be interesting to see how this dial is made and functions.

All dials aren't that complicated in that the telephone manufacturers hired people off the street to put them together. The engineers designed the dials but also designed them to be assembled by a common man off the street, not rocket science. Problem is that some dials, when assembled, were done so in a way that does not allow them to be taken apart - some SC dials have the number plate fixed to the dial housing by bending over metal prongs. This dial may have that issue as well in some of its parts, say the governor which from the picture looks like it's permanently attached to the dial case.