News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

4H dial with #2 contacts ?

Started by xtal_01, April 04, 2023, 12:34:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xtal_01

Question ... I have a 4H dial.  While I was looking at it, I noticed there was a "W" stamped beneath the last terminal rather than an "R" when it was first made.

At some point the "W" was stamped out with three lines and an "R" stamped beside it.

It is definitely a #4 dial as it does not have an external finger stop.

Is it possible that a 4H dial was originally made with older #2 contacts?

Thanks .... Mike

xtal_01

Thinking about it ... could it have been a 2H dial rebuilt as a 4H.  I just looked and don't see any filled holes but than I have never seen a converted dial.

How well do they fill the holes?  Maybe with a good paint job, I am just not seeing the patch?

Mike

poplar1

2H already had the "R" terminal next to BB and would not have needed to be restamped, if converted from 2H to 4H.

2A did not have an "R" terminal; so, it had to be restamped when the dial was converted from 2A to 4H.

Please provide photos.

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

xtal_01

Quote from: poplar1 on April 04, 2023, 02:51:15 AM2H already had the "R" terminal next to BB and would not have needed to be restamped, if converted from 2H to 4H.

2A did not have an "R" terminal; so, it had to be restamped when the dial was converted from 2A to 4H.

Please provide photos.

When I take the phone apart again, I will take better pictures.

Here are two I snapped (wow am I old ... film camera reference) when I had just changed out the dial.

If you zoom in very very close, you can see part of the "W" with the lines through it ... and on the right side of the terminal, you can see a small part of the "R" that was stamped in place.

You can also see the brass jumper I made to go between the R and BB terminals.

Thanks again !!!!!

FABphones

Quote from: xtal_01 on April 04, 2023, 11:58:56 AM...If you zoom in very very close, you can see part of the "W" with the lines through it ... and on the right side of the terminal, you can see a small part of the "R" that was stamped in place..l

Have zoomed in, rotated, and attached the image in case that helps anyone.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

MMikeJBenN27

This was converted to a 4H during Refurbishment.  The brass jumper, though, is probably not Ma Bell.  Probably somebody's "improvements".

Mike

xtal_01

I am just about to put up a post showing this phone.

What would Bell have used between the two terminals if not a brass strap (or was there a factory one available) ?

Here is a link to the YouTube video:  Western Electic 151AL with 634BA subset

Or you can see it here on my facebook page:  Western Electric 151AL with 634BA Subset

Thanks so much ... Mike

MMikeJBenN27

The white wire from the receiver is supposed to go to the W/R terminal, (no jumper), the double-blue to BB, the two black wires to BK, (three if you are using the filter), and the yellow wire from the switch to Y.  That's the way it is SUPPOSED to be wired.  The 51A, as it originally was made, had only one black wire going to BK of dial, two if using the filter. 

Mike

poplar1

Quote from: MMikeJBenN27 on April 05, 2023, 02:57:32 PMThe white wire from the receiver is supposed to go to the W/R terminal, (no jumper), the double-blue to BB

Mike

That is incorrect. The white receiver wire goes to the new W terminal next to the governor. Nothing connects to the R (former W) on a 4H dial, except for the brass strap from BB, when an H dial is used on a 50AL, 51AL, or 151AL.

Strapping BB and R on a 5H, 4H, or 2H makes these electrically equivalent to the 2A.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

MMikeJBenN27

Check out the TCI Library - Home, and go to "Wiring Diagrams" then Western Electric, then 151A.  You will find your answer.

Mike

MMikeJBenN27

Ok, I didn't see the new W terminal next to the governor.  I guess that means the strap really is Ma Bell then.

Mike