News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The end of POTS?

Started by Phonesrfun, March 20, 2011, 12:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tubaman

Quote from: markosjal on April 02, 2023, 04:27:03 PMDo not forget ANY VPN Provider is "in the middle" (this includes in the middle of any and all encryption, and on the route used to exchange keys)

Done here, I guess some people just DO NOT GET IT!

As is your ISP "in the middle" - I hope you trust them?

TymerTopCat

You can have my POTS line when you can pry it from my cold dead hands. MIB

I think markosjal is getting at the key exchange weakness, its well known and used by hackers often;
"The Diffie-Hellman key exchange is vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle attack. In this attack, an opponent Carol (AKA your VPN provider) intercepts Alice's public value and sends her own public value to Bob.
When Bob transmits his public value, Carol substitutes it with her own and sends it to Alice.
Carol and Alice thus agree on one shared key and Carol and Bob agree on another shared key.
 After this exchange, Carol simply decrypts any messages sent out by Alice or Bob, and then reads and possibly modifies them before re-encrypting with the appropriate key and transmitting them to the other party.
This vulnerability is present because Diffie-Hellman key exchange does not authenticate the participants.
 Possible solutions include the use of digital signatures and other protocol variants."

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/10471009/how-does-the-man-in-the-middle-attack-work-in-diffie-hellman

markosjal

Quote from: TymerTopCat on April 05, 2023, 02:29:45 AMYou can have my POTS line when you can pry it from my cold dead hands. MIB

NOPE they WILL take if before that as they did with my brother. Wanting him to pay WAY MORE for Fiber optic internet with a VoIP line.
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

TelePlay

I see more and more of these as time goes on. Walked past this one today so grabbed the pictures. It's been sitting open like this for a couple of years now.

The pedestal is Ameritech land lines and fiber has been put in the area so they seemed to have just abandon copper.

HarrySmith

Looks like someone ripped it open. Probably to take out all the copper.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

TelePlay

Quote from: HarrySmith on June 21, 2023, 05:14:37 PMLooks like someone ripped it open. Probably to take out all the copper.

Don't know Harry. Looks like nothing is missing but what's inside is covered with grass cuttings.

About 300 feet down the street there is another one in fine condition. I think a sidewalk snow plow hit the first one and no one cared to fix it.

TelePlay

They don't care about these anymore. 6 weeks later the only change is the person who cuts the grass put the front cover that was laying on the ground up against the pedestal.

ka1axy

Quote from: Owain on March 20, 2011, 06:13:05 PMYes, because the circuitry to detect loop disconnect dialling is the same as that required to detect on/off hook and time break recall (hookflash).

so it's a question of inclination not ability.

It's probably more the particular SLIC chip they're using in their line cards. They may no longer include the circuitry to count the dial pulses.