"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

USPS Shenanigans

Started by Sargeguy, May 14, 2013, 06:42:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TelePlay

Quote from: jsowers on December 12, 2015, 07:22:55 PM
. . . these four Bible salesmen called "Salesman" made in 1968 and they go to Florida and one of them drives through Opa Locka and can't find the street his sales prospect is on, and he keeps going by the streets you mentioned above and never finds his destination.  :)  I laughed when I saw it and couldn't believe I was seeing the same Opa Locka of the wayward packages, but it was. One of the streets was even named Sesame Street. So it's been a sort of Bermuda Triangle there for quite some time.

Jonathan,

Thanks for that link. Nice water tower and city hall. Fits with what has been written about history of that city.

OL seems to be an area just west of Miami with quite a varied history. I had to check on that street and yes, there is a Sesame Street but the post office is just out of the triangle sort of formed by Alladdin and Ali Baba. Anyway, my package is still in Opa Locka.

Buzby

Quote from: TelePlay on December 12, 2015, 08:28:17 PM
I had to check on that street and yes, there is a Sesame Street..............

I think I have found your problem, John.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vC0uvUuXVh8

AE_Collector

Quote from: TelePlay on December 12, 2015, 04:07:51 PM

Makes sense to put such a unique post office on the corner of Aladdin Street and Ali Baba Avenue, in, of course, wonderful downtown Opa Locka.

I have an idea. Why not go to Ali Baba (apparentlty a Chinese version of Amazon), order an Aladin Lamp and have it shipped to Opa Locka. The place just might burst into flames.

We have a USPS sorting station in Washington State called "Federal Way" that makes things just disappear. The best case scenario is having to pay additional postage upon delivery to cover the storage of your item there for a month or so.

Terry

Sargeguy

My PO was doing a lot better, but it seems they are back to skipping Saturday delivery again.  They do deliver packages from Amazon on Sunday however.
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

jsowers

My PO is delivering packages separately on some days. This month I've had all kinds of USPS delivery people and vehicles since I've ordered a lot of presents online this year, including one or two for myself. So some days I get a morning package delivery by someone who usually just plops the packages down on my stoop and then honks their horn, instead of ringing my doorbell. I guess in this day and time they don't want to set anyone off by ringing their doorbell. Then the usual letter mail delivery happens later in the afternoon.

Lonnie, my usual mailman, who gets a bag of homemade White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies from me for his efforts every Christmas, brings my letter mail with the packages and rings the doorbell. That saves me a trip across a busy road to the mailbox, and I'm thankful he's the regular guy. But he's had lots of subs and helpers this year who don't even close my mailbox door or ring the doorbell.
Jonathan

andre_janew

Where I live, giving the mailman a Christmas present can be considered a Federal offense and could land you in jail in Leavenworth!

19and41

The only time I have troubles like these is when a sender ships via one of USPS's little helpers, Fedex or DHL.  Right when the parcel passes off hand to hand it is flung into the parallel universe, to crash out a week later in some senseless location.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

— Arthur C. Clarke

Doug Rose

Quote from: andre_janew on December 14, 2015, 03:37:50 PM
Where I live, giving the mailman a Christmas present can be considered a Federal offense and could land you in jail in Leavenworth!
Where do you live? I give my Mailman  $20 in a card. I just make sure it is the regular mailman before I leave it out. He looks out for my packages and knows of my addiction...Doug
Kidphone

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 15, 2015, 08:37:13 AM
Quote from: andre_janew on December 14, 2015, 03:37:50 PM
Where do you live?
Must be the State of Insanity or Kansas! We aren't in Kansas any more, Toto! 8)
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

andre_janew

Yes, I live in Kansas.  My mom used to give the mailman homemade cookies every Christmas.  She had to quit because the new Postmaster General was cracking down on mailmen taking bribes.  The word was that if you gave your mailman a Christmas present, it could be considered a bribe and you could be in serious trouble even if it was homemade cookies!

Doug Rose

Quote from: andre_janew on December 15, 2015, 08:01:13 PM
Yes, I live in Kansas.  My mom used to give the mailman homemade cookies every Christmas.  She had to quit because the new Postmaster General was cracking down on mailmen taking bribes.  The word was that if you gave your mailman a Christmas present, it could be considered a bribe and you could be in serious trouble even if it was homemade cookies!

Re: Birthday 166
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 08:08:47 PM »
Is Devansphones  from Russia?  I'm asking because people that old (166) tend to be from Russia.

Warning Will Robinson...Danger....Danger. Another great moment form Lost in Space. The Robot was such a great actor. Speaking of actors.....do you feel like you might be getting played? I do.....but then again I am a 166 year old Russian, what do I know ....right comrade! .....Nyet
Kidphone

andre_janew

I'm just glad that I'm not being thought of as being boring!

Buzby

It seems I have a phone lost in transit. It left Springfield, MA on the 7th, and that's the last that was heard of it.

I've had a bad feeling about ever getting this phone. The seller took over a week to mail it (granted, I bought it just before Christmas), but other purchases were coming through just fine. The seller eventually clicked on the "shipped" icon just before the New Year, so I figured a few more days. No tracking number, but that does happen sometimes. Then stuff I had won from other auctions after this had shipped were arriving, and still no phone. Then I find that the seller "is no longer a registered user".

I'd been to that dance before. I wasn't taking any chances.

Contacted ebay, and was surprised to find the seller responded with a tracking number. The phone would arrive that day.

But it didn't.

And I've been patient. Still no phone.

Went down to the local post office who've informed me that they only have the same information I have, and to give it another week. They also told me that it will have to be the seller who reports it missing.

I've also checked for reports on highwaymen operating on the Mass Pike. Nothing.  >:(

19and41

Thr sender will have to pronounce it missing and initiate action with the post office.  They are the ones who receive payment from the insurance.  most sellers I have dealt with have refunded on the spot when they initiate a claim.
— Arthur C. Clarke