News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Northern Electric #2 dial?

Started by wds, December 04, 2013, 08:56:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

I've been watching an auction on Ebay, a Northern Electric newer wall phone with what appears to be a NE #2 dial.  I didn't think NE even made a #2 dial.  Hopefully someone here buys this phone.   Did NE make a #2 dial?

----------------

EDIT:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/310805292175
Dave

tallguy58

I'm bidding on that phone. I asked the seller what type of dial it was. It's  a WE #2 dated 1930
Cheers........Bill

wds

The back of the phone looks like a NE, not a We.
Dave

tallguy58

The phone is NE. It seems NE used WE dials for a while. I have a NE 151AL with a WE #2 dial. This one looks like it started off as a candlestick type.
Cheers........Bill

wds

Sorry, I meant the back of the dial.  I think that's a NE dial - maybe someone converted a NE #4 back to a #2?  Although I thought I read somewhere that NE #4's did not have the extra holes from the #2 dials.  Quite interesting.  I hope someone here wins so we can see better pictures.
Dave

Contempra

anyway its a nice phone and what is the price ? no link ? ;)

wds

Auction ends in about 10 minutes.  I'll update when it's over.  The seller sold several very nice phones tonight.  I ended up getting the Siemens 366 wall phone.  Even with the high shipping, I think I got a pretty good deal.
Dave

tallguy58

I just got outbid. This will probably go for crazy $$$. Only thing is why does it have two transmitters? Looks like a patch job to me.
Cheers........Bill

wds

Dave

wds

Wow - I didn't even notice the extra transmitter.  My eyes couldn't get past the #2 dial.
Dave

tallguy58

Like I said, I asked the seller about the dial. I even told him how to remove it and where it was marked. He did and told me it is a WE dial with 2-30 on the back. I still think it's a hack job.

Two transmitters???
Cheers........Bill

poplar1

The dial contacts appear to be those of a NE 4H dial. The finger stop at least is WE. Northern Did not make #2 dials.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

wds

Ok, so if NE didn't make a #2 dial, then the NE #4 doesn't have the extra holes that carried over from the #2.  How did the seller mount the fingerstop on this #4 dial? 
Dave

tallguy58

This is a Western Electric #2 dial that was shipped to Montreal and had a couple of contacts added to make it look like a #4 Northern Electric dial.
Cheers........Bill

wds

I don't have a NE dial to compare to unfortunately.  But from looking at the pictures of the back of a WE and a NE dial, it doesn't look possible to switch out the contacts as the mounting screw locations are different on the NE.  If that's a modified WE dial, someone went to a lot of trouble to create a NE #2 dial.  Also appears that someone paid way too much for this phone. 
Dave