News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Dial 21 Clutch Mechanism

Started by andy1702, April 18, 2017, 03:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andy1702

Does anyone know a way of restoring the clutch mechanism that is fitted to most UK dials, including the dial 21 as used on the 700 series phones? In the past I've managed to unseize the earlier ones by oiling and rotating while holding in a pair of soft jaw pliers. But I've just had a few dials to restore that all had the later plastic type fitted and while they still turn a little, they're not free enough to work properly in the dial. I've replaced them with spares for now, but I'd like to refurbish the old ones to put back in the spares box.

Any thoughts?

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

twocvbloke

I've an Ivory 746 that has the same issue, and it doesn't want to play ball with lubrication or cleaning, I think it's just down to the plastic they used either breaking down due to age or just simply wearing out to the point where it doesn't work properly, which is annoying as there's no real way (at least not without one of them 3D printers!) to get new parts to rebuild them sadly... :-\

andy1702

I find the earlier ones (look like they're made out of the same stuff they made old circuit boards from) do respond to oiling. It's just the later plastic ones that don't. I'm not even sure how they're put together. Is it possible to take them apart and if so, how? I can't see from the outside quite how they work, so for now at least I just put it down to some form of magic!  ;D

Andy.
Call me on C*net 0246 81 290 from the UK
or (+44) 246 81 290 from the rest of the world.

For telephone videos search Andys Shed on Youtube.

HarrySmith

Sounds like they have become part of the "new" plastic, throwaway trend!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"