News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

American Electric Transmitter Question

Started by Gilas, June 28, 2013, 10:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gilas

I recently purchased an American Electric transmitter still attached to the arm from a wood phone however for the life of me I can't figure out how to get this thing off.  It looks like it would be these two "screws" on the back however if it is then it also appears that it takes a specialized tool.  There are no screws around the lip like a normal transmitter that would separate it from the cup.  Any suggestions?

WesternElectricBen

I don't know anything about those but it kind of looks like the tool you use to take off the hub on a ercafon dial.

Ben

HarrySmith

Those are specialized screws, commonly used for non tamper situations. Maybe the arm is off a payphone? You can get the tool easily, or you might be able to rig something with a snap ring plier or a couple of nails. I have done both with this type of screw in the past.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Mr. Bones

Gilas,

The screw heads look to be, as aforementioned, one type of 'tamper-proof'. I encounter lots of various ones at work, and have a multi-bit security screwdriver for them. 'Bout $20-ish,iirc.

I did a quick search, here is a starting place for you:
https://www.google.com/search?q=security+screwdriver&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Sorry for the long link, too early to take the long way around the mulberry tree ;)

I hope that this is of assistance to you, my good Sir!

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

wds

I have what appears to be the same transmitter, yet it doesn't have any provision for mounting from the back like yours.  I'm really anxious to see how yours is mounted.
Dave

wds

My American Electric transmitter which has a cup similar to yours, has the bolts going all the way through the front of the transmitter.
Dave

Mr. Bones

Gilas,

I went and dug my security screwdriver out of my IT installation tools bag. It is a MEGAPRO 151TP-B. Here's a pic for you. This one is nice because it doesn't require a separate box of bits, etc.; it just fits in the pocket.

It is also made here in the USA, which I am, admittedly, rather keen on.

The box is in the background, and it appears, by the part# label, that I must have gotten it from Grainger.

I'm certain that you can find the same driver set cheaper, elsewhere! ;)

Best regards!

Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus