News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Lime green Trimline arrives

Started by McHeath, April 10, 2010, 08:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Lime green has long been a favorite shade of green for me, but until now I've not owned any phones in that color.  Found one on e-bay last week, and after spending 53 clams it was mine.

Looked good in the pictures, but who knows eh until you open the box if it's any good.

The Trimline has grown on me over the last year, and I now find that 5 examples live in the house.  I've come to appreciate the nice clean mid 60's lines of the design, and it's technological sophistication as well.

This example is actually a Stromberg Carlson Slenderet, which appears to be an exact clone of the early Trimline right down to the brass gong on the P1 ringer.  Even the mold lines on the baseplate match up with WE examples I have.

The packaging was impressive, this seller really knows his phone shipping.  (qaz-trader is the seller, he's been discussed before in previous threads about some NOS housings he sells from time to time)

McHeath

The phone is dated Sept 23, 1975.  What were you doing that day?

It's simply pristine, absolutely flawless.  The color is bright and sharp, no smells, no stains, no fading. like it was just pulled from the box.  The bottom claims it's property of Wood County Telephone Company.

The only flaw is that the cord is a little bit different shade of green.

Notice how the seller removed the cords for shipment, impressive attention to detail.

It works great, and has become my espositas new favorite, having found a home on her desk.

Next up, find a lime green 500.

Craig T

Excellent buy Heath, I did not see that one last week. I was bidding on the hardwired 500 that went for $93 plus ship though  :-\

I like the bright booming color of your phone  8)

I agree the seller did a great job making sure it arrived safely.

McHeath

Thanks Craig.

I was following that lime green 500 last week but it was too steep in the end for me.  Once in a while I see a 500 go for a pretty low price, but they often are yellowed or dirty.  There is a nice 554 right now, very bright green and it looks good.  Jorge has a nice one on his flicker site that he refurbed.

This is a real fun color to have, especially when it's this bright and clean.  I do note that the SC Slendert is not built as solidly as a WE Trimline, even though the parts are a dead on match up.  It's even a lot more true to the original Trimline than a 1975 WE product, which was modular, using the aluminum P1 gong with plastic clapper, and had other small cheaping changes.  The SC still has the nice heavy cord with semi-permanent ends, the old style ringer with brass gongs and clapper, and the line cord is still using the early connector as well.  I don't like the sound of the later P1 ringers at all, too tinny, but these early ones with brass have a nice sweet ring to my ears. 

Though not as nice as a good C4.

AET

I wasn't even a twinkle in my daddy's eye.  He was 15, and ma was 10.

Quote from: McHeath on April 10, 2010, 08:46:59 PM
The phone is dated Sept 23, 1975.  What were you doing that day?

- Tom

bwanna

great phone, mcheath. don't you just love the thrill of winning something you really want ;D be sure to give the seller good feedback for the packing.
donna

mienaichizu

JorgeAmely

McHeath:

Nice purchase. I will brighten your moods anytime of the day.

Here is the link to my 500 in Lime Green. It is a Picasa album.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/1973LimeGreenStrombergCarlsonTelephone#

Jorge

zuperdee

There is one important difference between the Stromberg Slenderet and the Western Trimline though: The Slenderet uses a U1-type receiver element instead of the LA1-type element in the Trimline. ;-)

McHeath

Interesting.  I have not pulled it apart yet to see the guts.  The handset does seem a tad heavier than my WE Trimlines. 

Greg G.

Quote from: McHeath on April 10, 2010, 11:34:59 PM
Thanks Craig.

I was following that lime green 500 last week but it was too steep in the end for me. 

Do you still have the link to that?  I can't find it even if I include "completed" in the ebay search.  I'm trying to see what these are going for.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

McHeath

Yeah, it was auction number 130379301025

Went for 93, which does not seem too bad for the condition it was in.  About the lowest I've seen lime green 500s go for is 30, and it was dirty and faded.