News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

1959 500 PU "Mushroom phone" for 22 usd.

Started by WesternElectricBen, June 27, 2013, 11:31:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WesternElectricBen

Hello everyone,

For my 13th birthday my mother took me to stilwater MN, about 45 minuets from the Twin Cites. And we wen't "antiquating," which was a good birthday outing.

Though the first antique store, in the first room I saw two liech 901's, which I have no interest in at the moment. Though, sitting on a old desk, for 28usd. was a 1959 500 PU MUSHROOM PHONE! I remember back to a ebay auction where one went for 599usd. restored. So I picked it up, I didn't want to have the unlikely chance, though still possible of somebody picking it up.

After a hour, seeing a couple other cool phones, especially ones with the original MN 612 area code. Though I honestly feel bad offering the people at the store 22usd. for a phone that could be POSSIBLY but not surely 500usd.

I picked it up aswell as a Dark Blue contempa which I got for 10usd.

It needs a bit of work, a trans. for the light which I hope to wire like a princess phone. I can show you what I rigg up later. I have already done dial maintainence, when I got it, the dial was flipped incorrectly aswell as the release mech. (amateurs...)

What is also interesting is that it uses a G1 Bakealight handset (I think) and even though the case date is from 1959 it has black switchook plungers.

All appear to be from 1959 except the replaced line cord which is from 1965. Though I have not been able to open the handset, not even my dad, so I'm not sure if I can use oil or anything.

Here is the pictures of my "find," which I will be adding it to "find of the month" for next month as I don't want to bother Terry anymore than I already have with my 17 items...

Ben

WesternElectricBen

Sorry about the background, the shop is covered with phone stuff, from floor to every work surface, so I'm now using the chair my cat sits on, thats why so their is so much on the pad.

AE_Collector

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 27, 2013, 11:31:18 PM
I don't want to bother Terry anymore than I already have with my 17 items...

Umm...that's Barry..or was it Perry?

Great find and excellent birthday present!

Terry

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: AE_Collector on June 27, 2013, 11:39:21 PM
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 27, 2013, 11:31:18 PM
I don't want to bother Terry anymore than I already have with my 17 items...

Umm...that's Barry..or was it Perry?

Great find and excellent birthday present!

Terry

Yea, I want sure what your going by these days, so I just went origional..

Thanks, my ma' was pretty happy I got something good.
Ben

HarrySmith

The switch on the Mushroom is to change it from a "night light" where the light is always on but dimly and gets brighter when the reciever is lifted, to only comes on when reciever is lifted.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

WesternElectricBen

Thank you Harry! Now the question is, should I got for a re-pro lamp hood or the original?

I actually just got the dial light working, with the switch and stuff... It works, but my thin wiring makes it work off and on. I will just need to strip more wire etc. I got the ringer working as it was disconnected. Now I need to clean it up...

Jim Stettler

regarding the black plungers, on some of the "rarer" models they used "older" parts and molds., you can also find "pronged* " G handsets with late dates on the oddball sets.
Just something I have noticed over the years,
Jim
* "pronged"  these are the early style G handsets with the "prong" for the cord and a flat receiver cup.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: Jim S. on June 28, 2013, 03:22:31 PM
regarding the black plungers, on some of the "rarer" models they used "older" parts and molds., you can also find "pronged* " G handsets with late dates on the oddball sets.
Just something I have noticed over the years,
Jim
* "pronged"  these are the early style G handsets with the "prong" for the cord and a flat receiver cup.

So do you think its more rare? I can't even get the handset open.
Ben

Mr. Bones

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 28, 2013, 02:38:44 PM
Thank you Harry! Now the question is, should I got for a re-pro lamp hood or the original?

I actually just got the dial light working, with the switch and stuff... It works, but my thin wiring makes it work off and on. I will just need to strip more wire etc. I got the ringer working as it was disconnected. Now I need to clean it up...

Ben,

I guess if it was me, I'd use the repro hood to make it useable/displayable right away, and hold out for an original, then pass the repro on to another forum member who found themselves in the same boat.

It's definitely way too cool of a find to let it languish in storage.

Just my 2¢ worth. Incredible find, especially for the money, and what a great birthday present!!!

Have a great weekend, Sir!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

WesternElectricBen

Mr Bones,

Thank you, I am quite excited about it! I will probably go with the repro hood, if it was all original parts I would use a original but I'm fine with that.

Ben

MagicMo

Nice phone Ben. I'll check to see if I have a 59 line cord and I will let you know. Nice birthday present!
Mo
Practice Kindness :)

WesternElectricBen

Thanks Mo, I think these cords are special though. With a retainer clip further away from the ends and 4 colors.

Ben

paul-f

If you're stripping wire, are you also installing crimp-on spade tips?  Just putting the stripped wire under a screw terminal will usually lead to intermittant contact.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

WesternElectricBen

Quote from: paul-f on June 28, 2013, 04:50:29 PM

If you're stripping wire, are you also installing crimp-on spade tips?  Just putting the stripped wire under a screw terminal will usually lead to intermittant contact.

Oh yes, I forgot I picked up one of them at the store. Thats what I should do.

jsowers

Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 28, 2013, 04:35:50 PM
Thanks Mo, I think these cords are special though. With a retainer clip further away from the ends and 4 colors.

Ben, you are correct. Mo--you need to look for a black 4-conductor line cord. It has four wires, red, green, black and yellow. The mushroom light takes two wires--yellow and black. The phone line takes red and green. The amount of wire inside the phone is much longer on these than a regular 500 mounting cord. The wire has to reach the terminal strip under the dial.

These 4-conductor cords are hard to find. They were also used on 2-line phones. I hope you find one.

Ben, congratulations on getting such a bargain!

Jonathan