News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wide 1930's Northern Electric Uniphone

Started by BruceP, August 02, 2013, 03:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceP

Is this unusual? Anyone know the model #?
They're asking $60.

LarryInMichigan

That is a Northern Electric Uniphone.  It is alot like Canada: large but mostly empty space inside.  It is essentially the same thing as a Western/Northern Electric 302 under the shell.  $60 is a bit high.  They sell frequently on ebay and elsewhere in the $20-$40 range.

Larry

WesternElectricBen

Pretty common. Like Larry said, they go pretty cheep and its pretty much the same thing as a 302. Looks identical inside, besides the different dial.

Ben

DavePEI

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on August 02, 2013, 05:35:10 PM
That is a Northern Electric Uniphone.  It is alot like Canada: large but mostly empty space inside.  It is essentially the same thing as a Western/Northern Electric 302 under the shell.  $60 is a bit high.  They sell frequently on ebay and elsewhere in the $20-$40 range.

Larry
Only the #5 and #6's are empty inside and used as stands. The #1 and #2 were full phones with network, capacitor, etc. You find a #1 or #2 for much under $60, I'll be a monkey's uncle.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

david@london

here's one on ebay,uk for a slightly higher price. buy it now £140.

http://tinyurl.com/ok3rn9u

dave pei, could i ask: what do you mean when you say they were used as stands ?

LarryInMichigan

The #5 and #6 contain nothing but a hook switch.  They were connected to magneto subsets.  There is one like that on ebay now from a seller near here in nearly mint condition.  They have been trying forever to sell it on ebay and at the local flea market where I have seen it several times: http://www.ebay.com/itm/120990683584.

Larry

DavePEI

Quote from: david@london on August 02, 2013, 06:12:50 PM
As Larry says above, the #4 and #5 are essentially empty, containing only a hook switch and intended only for use with an external network in place of a desk stand.

http://www.islandregister.com/phones/telephone3.html

Note, one should watch out for a number 1 with no dial - these are extremely rare - most have had dials added.I have only found one of these, though they were listed in the NE catalogs - mine was used on the internal network at CFB Summerside.

Also watch out for those with type NU or NF handsets, and for those in Burled Walnut, or even better the almost non-existant ivory color. Those are all worth a premium, the beige the most rare, as there were only a few made due to instabilities in the bakelite. Most of these wound up being presentation pieces to telco executives.

But as was said, Uniphones were essentially 302s, built on their side. The only truly different parts from WE 302 parts were the base, case, and the early NU and NF handsets. Though the bell, coil and capacitor were made in Canada, they were made to the same design as 302 components.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

G-Man

Here is a link to the TCI Library for downloading the complete descriptions for the various Northern Electric Uniphones:

http://www.telephonecollectors.info/index.php/document-repository/doc_details/640-northern-electric-uniphones-ne-t7-catalog

It includes not only descriptions, but includes wiring diagrams and parts drawings as well.

Doug Rose

Quote from: DavePEI on August 02, 2013, 08:38:42 PM

Note, one should watch out for a number 1 with no dial - these are extremely rare - most have had dials added.I have only found one of these, though they were listed in the NE catalogs - mine was used on the internal network at CFB Summerside.

Dave
Dave....I never knew that! I have passed them over before. I still find these to be quite cool looking. Still on the lookout for a burled Walnut #1. I was fortunate enough to find a #2 Burled Walnut a few years ago with the NF two piece transmitter cap...thanks for the great info....Doug
Kidphone

BruceP

I guess I'll go back and offer them $45. Thanks guys!

DavePEI

Quote from: Doug Rose on August 03, 2013, 08:38:53 AM
Quote from: DavePEI on August 02, 2013, 08:38:42 PM

Dave
Dave....I never knew that! I have passed them over before. I still find these to be quite cool looking. Still on the lookout for a burled Walnut #1. I was fortunate enough to find a #2 Burled Walnut a few years ago with the NF two piece transmitter cap...thanks for the great info....Doug
Yes, but don't forget almost all dial-less ones you see are actually a stand (#4) with only a hook switch inside. A number one is a complete phone. I searched for years to find one which was original without a dial.

"October 20, 2011 - A rare Number 1 dial-less Uniphone dated May 1952.Most of these phones were converted to dial in the 1950's. It is now hard to find one which hasn't been converted to dial. Unlike the Uniphone number 5s which consisted of only a hookswitch inside, and were designed for use with external subsets, these were complete phones with induction coil and capacitor and ringer. According to an inventory tag still attached, this phone was owned by the RCAF, and likely saw service in the 50s at CFB Summerside. This phone has since been cleaned up, and as it adds interest to the phone, the tag attached has been laminated in plastic and left attached.."

The one I have still bears its original RAF inventory tag on it which I laminated in plastic to preserve it. The system at CFB Summerside used mostly dial-less #1s to prevent outgoing calls from non-cleared personel.

It has been cleaned up completely since this photo was taken. This is clearly marked a No. 1 on the base, and the no dial was an option for No. 1s in the T7 catalogue.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

AE_Collector

I don't think that I have ever seen one that doesn't clearly have the model number stamped on the baseplate.

Terry