"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello from Southern California!

Started by SunriseEarth, July 24, 2018, 05:28:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SunriseEarth

Hello everyone!

I started collected phones again recently.   I first became interested in vintage phones back when I was in High School, and my first was a black WE500 from 1954.   My next one was a 302 from 1947.   I fixed a black AE80 from 1973 that belonged to a teacher of mine, and she later gave it to me.    I didn't collect any more until many years later, when I picked up a Design Line Celebrity in beige and gold.   After this, I got a brown Touch Tone Sculptura phone.

Sadly, some of those phones were misplaced over the years.   I think the black WE500 and the Sculptura are somewhere in my parents' home.   The Celebrity was borrowed by my roommate at the time for a play he was supposed to stage, but he very quickly left town, skipping out on his rent (and with my phone!).   Fortunately, the 302 and the AE80 were safe at my parents and easily found recently.

Recently, my community choir performed a musical parody show, and I had been tasked with securing some vintage phones to use for an office scene.   This reignited my phone interest!   I used my AE80 and found a 1962 WE500 in Ivory at a local antique store.   I used these with an A/B switch and a telephone line simulator for our show quite successfully.

Since then, I've picked up a few other phones to add to my collection.   I replaced my Celebrity phone with a Black & Gold Touch Tone one.   I found a green Ericofon from 1962 and just got the Ericotone ringer working again!   I also picked up a Design Line Big Button Phone with Blue & Green buttons.   I also got an ATC Genie in Peach.  But I think my favorite is my 1968 Princess Phone 702B in Yellow!   It took a bit of work to get the Loud and Soft ring to work properly again, but the light worked immediately once I got my transformer kit. 

I know, I know...this post would be much better with pictures!  I follow up with some soon!
Tony Stokes

TCI Member; ATCA Member #4893

FABphones

Quote from: SunriseEarth on July 24, 2018, 05:28:43 AM
.... I replaced my Celebrity phone with a Black & Gold Touch Tone one.... 
.....this post would be much better with pictures!  I follow up with some soon!

Welcome. And yes, photos photos photos...

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

HarrySmith

Welcome! You have found the best forum on the net. Full of experienced knowlegeable people who love to help. All of us here are infected with Phoneitis. It is a progressive, incurable disease as it appears you are already experiencing. Soon you will want another color or another manufacturer or different model or maybe some tools and some switching equipment. The list goes on & on.
We Love Pictures!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Pourme

Hello from North Carolina!....Welcome to the forum......This is the home of what I lovingly refer to as "Phone Whispers"

Would love to see your pictures!
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Dan/Panther

Welcome to our forum, I also am from So. Cal., Orange County. I used to be proud of that. Where are you located.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

SunriseEarth

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 24, 2018, 12:26:15 PM
Welcome to our forum, I also am from So. Cal., Orange County. I used to be proud of that. Where are you located.

LOL.   I'm currently in Long Beach, but I was in the OC for many years.  I grew up in the IE, mainly around Riverside and Moreno Valley.

My Ivory WE500 has a Riverside phone number (and Riverside stickers, which I've removed), back when Riverside was still part of area code 714.   I believe it became 909 in the very early '90s, and many people still refer to the area as "The 909".
Tony Stokes

SunriseEarth

Quote from: FabPhones on July 24, 2018, 06:18:59 AM
Welcome. And yes, photos photos photos... :)

This was an eBay find and it really was in excellent condition!   You see a lot of the ivory & gold ones, and the blue and silver ones seem to be in demand at the moment.  But I'm very happy with my black and gold Celebrity phone. 
Tony Stokes

oldguy

Welcome SunriseEarth. I'm in northern cal, Grass Valley, about 50 miles NE of Sacramento. There aren't a lot of west Coasters on here. Thanks for the pictures, we like pictures.
Gary

Dan/Panther

Quote from: SunriseEarth on July 24, 2018, 03:38:32 PM
This was an eBay find and it really was in excellent condition!   You see a lot of the ivory & gold ones, and the blue and silver ones seem to be in demand at the moment.  But I'm very happy with my black and gold Celebrity phone. 
Quote from: SunriseEarth on July 24, 2018, 03:23:35 PM
LOL.   I'm currently in Long Beach, but I was in the OC for many years.  I grew up in the IE, mainly around Riverside and Moreno Valley.

My Ivory WE500 has a Riverside phone number (and Riverside stickers, which I've removed), back when Riverside was still part of area code 714.   I believe it became 909 in the very early '90s, and many people still refer to the area as "The 909".

It has since been divided again and 951 added.
What is very frustrating when I call certain numbers that are in the 909 area code, without  using  the 909 area code, it says I need to, then on other occasions if I use the 909 area code it says, I don't need too. I call the phone company several times with no results.

D/P

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HarrySmith

Quote from: Dan/Panther on July 25, 2018, 01:12:10 PM
It has since been divided again and 951 added.
What is very frustrating when I call certain numbers that are in the 909 area code, without  using  the 909 area code, it says I need to, then on other occasions if I use the 909 area code it says, I don't need too. I call the phone company several times with no results.

D/P

D/P

I guess it is the same thing all over. I live in South Florida. The area code for the Fort Lauderdale area is 954. Sometimes I get the same results, you need to dial one for this number or you do not need to dial 1. I cannot figure it out. Seems to be random, not a certain area or prefix, different all the time. I agree, Frustrating!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

SunriseEarth

Quote from: HarrySmith on July 25, 2018, 02:20:35 PM
I guess it is the same thing all over. I live in South Florida. The area code for the Fort Lauderdale area is 954. Sometimes I get the same results, you need to dial one for this number or you do not need to dial 1. I cannot figure it out. Seems to be random, not a certain area or prefix, different all the time. I agree, Frustrating!

There's a lot of overlays now.  Also, I think people are so used to having to dial area code and the 7-digit number for cell phone use, anyway.   My partner and I were watching a compilation of '80s TV ads and found it strange to see one with only a 7-digit number listed.   

I've kept my 909 cell phone number for the past 20 years, despite being in 951, 714, and 562 at various times during that period. 
Tony Stokes