"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Intro

Started by Greg G., February 21, 2009, 04:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Hi All!

Just a quick note to introduce myself.  I'm a new collector, know zilch about electronics, but I love antiques.  I have one genuine antique phone, NEC Type 3 Automatic, and one WE 500, circa 59 that I'm using as a project/learning phone.  

Here's a couple of pics:

The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Dennis Markham

Welcome to the forum.  I love that NEC---a very classy looking phone.

By your photos it looks like a #8 dial.  If you have removed the finger wheel then you should see a circular stainless steel color clip that holds on the number ring.  There are three flanges that slide under a slotted post.  Simply take a screw drive and move them counter-clockwise and the clip will become loose.  Simply lift of the retainer clip and the plastic plate will lift right off.

If you have not removed the finger wheel and don't know how to do it, consult this page:

http://www.porticus.org/bell/telephones-technical_dials-rotary.html

Scroll down to Plastic Finger wheel.  You need a paper clip or similar item to stick through the pin-hole on the finger wheel.

If you don't have the #8 dial with the circular retainer clip that I described, then it may be a later #9 dial.  It simply turns from the back and pulls out---bayonet style.

McHeath

Hi and welcome.

Your model 500 is pretty rough at present, but they can be brought back from the brink a lot of the time and end up looking near new.  I'd guess that yours would be such a case, it's a hardwired early color 500 and seems to have no major damage. 

Really like the Type 3, great looking phone.

BDM

Hello and welcome. Please review the  Telephone Troubleshooting and Repair portion of the forum. You'll find stickies at the top of the page that will aid in the joy of telephone collecting ;)

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=2.0

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Bill Cahill

Hello, and, welcome to the forum.....
Bill Cahill  ;D

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Sargeguy

Welcome!  Love the NEC!!! 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

AET

Welcome!  Love both the phones.  They look to have a ton of potential.  The Model 500 will clean up real nice I'm sure.  Those plastics usually hold up under all the filth.
- Tom

Greg G.

Thanks for the references on disassembling the dial.  I do not have the finger wheel off yet.  I'm a little confused as to the age of the phone.  The bottom plate has the numbers "5-59" which I assume stands for May 1959, but on the underside of the dial mechanism it has the numbers "5-72" (May 1972?) below "9C" (no clue what that means).  Am I wrong in assuming those are manufacturing dates?  I was able to hand-clean the body, caps, and handset after removing the electronics, they cleaned up very well with just dishsoap.

As for the NEC, here is a web site for antique Japanese phones, in case you're interested:  http://www.naonao.jp/tel_eng/
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Bill Cahill

The later date on dial indicates the phone has been refurbished.
Bill Cahill

"My friends used to keep saying I had batts in my belfry. No. I'm just hearing bells....."

Dan/Panther

Brinybay;
The 500 looks like it came from an auto repair shop ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

A while back I wrote a five-part series on my web site about what to look for when shopping for a model 500 telephone.  Some of the things that change throughout the lifetime of the phone are the feet, plastic parts, cords, etc.  If you get time check out the postings here:

http://www.vintagerotaryphones.com/blog/index.php?s=is+it+really+from+1957

It will show part #5 at the top, just start at the bottom of the page with part #1.  It may help to explain some of the changes to a phone that may have started its life in 1957.

So you phone was initially manufactured in May of 1959.  The dial is much later as you indicated 5-1972.  9C is the model number of the dial.  In 1959 dials were made with steel and brass gears.  The 9C is mostly plastic.

Don't be afraid to remove the finger wheel.  If you follow the instructions from the link I provided (Bell System Memorial page) it is simple.

Greg G.

Quote from: Dan/Panther on February 22, 2009, 01:27:40 PM
Brinybay;
The 500 looks like it came from an auto repair shop ?
D/P

It was in a basement shop of some sort, no doubt handled/abused by mechanics and other laborers.  The gal I bought it from said it worked fine, but when they closed the shop and cleaned out the basement, one guy just yanked the cord out of the wall.  
- Mike Row
e

JimH

Welcome Brinybay!  The 500 is an excellent first project.  You'll find a lot of help here!
Jim H.

Greg G.

Quote from: Dennis Markham on February 22, 2009, 01:40:49 PM
A while back I wrote a five-part series on my web site about what to look for when shopping for a model 500 telephone. 

Read the articles as soon as I got home, excellent!  They were a lot of help!
- Mike Row
e

mienaichizu