News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE help needed: I am stuck, really!

Started by JorgeAmely, June 06, 2010, 04:06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JorgeAmely

I have been trying to remove the caps of this handset that belongs to an old AE34. Hair dryer at first didn't work. Put some WD-40 and I was able to remove the speaker ring and remove the element. The speaker cap is really stuck.

Question # 1:
I wonder if I have to turn the ring or the cap itself.

Question #2:
In the microphone element, is it possible to separate the bakelite spit cup from the aluminum part that contains the microphone?

Some pictures attached.
Jorge

LarryInMichigan

Jorge,

Did you try removing the two outer screws from the back of the transmitter.  I have the same handset on my AE 1A, and I don't entirely remember what I did with it, but I think that I tried removing those screws.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Larry:

Thanks for the reply. Were you able to take it yours apart? I just took one screw off and the black bakelite part didn't move at all, so I decided to wait to see if other forum members have had more experience with this type of transmitter.

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
That center ring appears to have grooves for a spanner wrench, maybe unscrew the ring, then maybe the entire center comes out the front ?
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

JorgeAmely

Jorge

LarryInMichigan

Jorge,

I just took another look at mine.  Forget what I said about the screws.  The bakelite cap actually just sits on top of the transmitter capsule.  I was able to separate them by gently prying them apart.  The cap has tabs on two sides which fit into two slots on the transmitter to keep the cap from rotating, and the brass sleeve which screws onto the handset keeps the cap in place.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Larry:

Mine follows your description accurately, but the bakelite part seems to be bonded in place. Are there any grooves on yours that helps align it with the aluminum part?

A couple of photos will be greatly appreciated.

Jorge

LarryInMichigan

Jorge,

I believe that there is a groove which aligns the centers of the cap and capsule.  My phone is back together.  I will try to get some pictures, but I am not be able to do it now.

I just stuck a small screwdriver blade between the two pieces and wiggled it a bit, and they separated.  No special tricks.

Larry

JorgeAmely

Larry:

Thank you very much for your advise. It didn't seem to budge at first when I used a 1/16 of an inch screwdriver, but when a used one a little wider, it did!  ;D ;D ;D It seems that it had been there for 70-80 years. It felt as if someone had glued those parts together with Crazy Glue or something.

Anyway, here is a picture of both parts now.

Jorge

AE_Collector

Looks like you have success Jorge! I was going to say that the spit cup can only be stuck to the transmitter by years of crud. They should just come apart once off the handset as the threated ring holds them tightly together and onto the handset when assembled.

The big hex nut through the receiver cap just holds the cap onto the receiver. You have to unthread the entire receiver unit off of the handset as one unit. It isn't a ring that holds it all together like the transmitter end of the handset. The nut through the receiver cap also allows you to adjust the ear piece for a comfortable position depending on which ear you typically hold it up to as the receiver cap is wedge shaped.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

JorgeAmely

Larry, Terry:
I was able to remove the receiver side also. I put the handset under the hot sun after squirting some WD40 on the threads. I wrapped an old flat vacuum cleaner pulley around the cap and with big channel lock pliers, twisted the cap and it budged. The rest was easy. The inside has an interesting receiver as shown below.

Interesting observation about the wedged shaped cap. You learn something new everyday. Now I need a tool to remove that hex nut.

Jorge

Jim Stettler

It looks like a large Allen wrench will remove the nut.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

JorgeAmely

Jorge

Jester

Jorge,
Could you insert a square sided set screw into the hole & turn it out with channellocks?
Stephen