News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE metal telephone on ebay. Model number??

Started by bob833, December 17, 2016, 07:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

Of the four phones pictured, it looks most like the Type 32A14.

bob833

Hi Bruce, yes, the one jukebox phone is an AE35 also in the bunch is an AE34.  The AE35 works good but the 34 has very low volume on the receiver. I don't think it is the receiver because I put that receiver on a working phone and it worked fine. I will have to put a post in the tech section to try to find out what is going on with the AE34.

Slal

Quote from: andre_janew on December 19, 2016, 12:29:49 PM
Of the four phones pictured, it looks most like the Type 32A14.

That's what I was thinking, but guys like Umbeldi, Jack, Terry, and Ken have decades more experience than I do.  (I just have a few catalogs...)

Shame about the dial. 

Can't find anything that hasn't already been mentioned about the coil either.

Anyone have a 32A14 wall type? 

Quote from: bob833 on December 19, 2016, 04:00:23 PM
Hi Bruce, yes, the one jukebox phone is an AE35 also in the bunch is an AE34.  The AE35 works good but the 34 has very low volume on the receiver. I don't think it is the receiver because I put that receiver on a working phone and it worked fine. I will have to put a post in the tech section to try to find out what is going on with the AE34.

Like I say, nice haul!  Wish I lived in AE territory, but San Antonio was SW Bell I think. 

If you list it, be interesting to see how much that AE-35 goes for.  Plenty of type 50 jukebox ones out there, but (when I do check eBay which isn't often) don't see very many 35's.

Nice Christmas for you eh?  : )

--Bruce

Babybearjs

it always important to look up things in the TCI Library.... when I run into model issues, I always look thing up before asking..... its also important to keep PDF copies of stuff from the TCI Library.... I try to keep as much info on all the makes as I can. that way, you can get the answer faster.
John

unbeldi

Quote from: Slal on December 19, 2016, 10:51:25 AM
2.) What evidence supports a 51 dial versus a 24A36 as illustrated in bulletin 528 - June 1, 1949? 

Seller photos: die-cast, so evidence for 51.  My mistake.
Doc 528 is in error, or 'die-cast' 24A36 for a year or so?   :o

Good observation, Bruce.

I agree that the pictures in Bulletin 528 are most likely wrong.  The pictures, Fig.2 and probably Fig.3, show a No. 51 dial, IMHO, not a 26A36. They do not match the cross-section drawings later in the manual. See Fig.12. The 24A36 dial still had the separate contact assembly plate (D-730176-A) by which all contacts could be lifted off the dial in one unit. This is clearly shown in Fig.12 in cross-section, while absent in Fig 2.

How could such a mistake happen in what appears like a pretty substantial product manual ?
Why would they produce a new manual for a product that had been around since 1936, the 24A36, knowing that the new dial is about to debut?
The only explanation, I can think of is that this perhaps was intended to be the new manual for the No. 51 dial.  AE's model numbers usually were dated a year or two ahead of actual release time.
It appears that the initial version of the 51 dial had its case anodized black, while later versions did not.

There is more evidence that this bulletin is wrong and that the AE catalog writers themselves were confused about their equipment.
In 1950 AE published a replacement parts pamphlet, and it shows and lists the spring assembly bracket D-730176-A as a separate part for the 24A36 dial.  The document does not mention the No. 51 dial. But it does show an inconsistency by showing mounting studs on case, while also showing the bracket on the same page.

The 1957 Catalog TA-57 shows diagrams for the 51A dial. This version featured bi-furcated spring contacts. In the cross-section of page 50, the studs on which the springs are mounted are missing. The page also shows the springs mounted on separate mounting bracket. Presumably, these drawings are for the 24A36 type. Two pages later the mounting studs as part of the casing are clearly shown in a cross-section view and rear view drawing.

A 1958 replacement parts pamphlet shows the correct parts for the 51A dial, but it does not mention the 24A36 and 51 dials anymore.

So, an alternate explanation perhaps would be that there were two versions of the 26A36 dial, the one with the separate spring assembly bracket, and one with the black-anodized dial-cast casing, while the 51 dial had the non-anodized casing.  But this would surely be a rather confusing situation—how does one order replacement parts accurately? But confusing it is in any case, whether model numbers are mixed up, or whether catalog pictures are.

Is there another way to decipher all this?