News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My dial screw heads are breakin off

Started by RB, January 27, 2019, 09:31:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RB

Got my dial ready to install in my Red Bar.
Started to attach the wires, and two of the screw heads broke off??? :o
So, now I need 5 good screws for this dial.
Anybody have some of these??
or know a good source?

Signed.
Inhibited dialer

LarryInMichigan

Dan/Panther

Are you maybe applying a little too much torque to the screws ? Those screws are usually fairly strong.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Babybearjs

the threading on these is 4-36. in some cases, I've rethreaded them to 4-40. 4-40 is more common and easier to find. 4-36 is used by LIONEL for hobby train hardware. you have to go through a hobby shop if you want that size... if they have it...
John

TelePlay

Regular Member Post

I was surprised to see that Fastenal STILL sells this size with a slotted pan head but only by the "each" and for real money. A year or two ago, you could get 100 of these at Fastenal for under $5 but they went through a period where they sold all of the "odd" sizes off in quantity at a discount and now apparently have "some" but for money. Shipping is free to a local store. There may be other places sources. I found in a Google search the are available in brass and different heads. You can get these "$2" a lot cheaper if you buy them 1,000 at a time from other sources, probably made on order. These at Fastenal are 1/4" long which should work, longer screws, if you find them, can be cut to length with a Dremel circular cutting tool.

https://www.fastenal.com/products/details/0174021

RB

Bob S