"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE233QA-53 Conversion Diagram

Started by DavePEI, December 31, 2012, 09:54:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

Hi All:

I just wanted to pass along a copy of a wiring diagram found in an NE233QA-53 payphone. The -53 is the colour code for the phone, cherry red.

This schematic was found inside the phone, and shows the modifications made to the relay wiring in the phone in pencil on the schematic....

This phone was manufactured in 1966 and is in its original colour. This phone belongs to Roger Palmer of New York.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

poplar1

Besides Green, Lt. Beige and Black and Chrome which were also WE 233G colors, NE 233s were made in  Red, White and what others?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

DavePEI

Quote from: poplar1 on December 31, 2012, 10:23:19 PM
Besides Green, Lt. Beige and Black and Chrome which were also WE 233G colors, NE 233s were made in  Red, White and what others?
Green, Lt. Beige, Chrome, and of course Black. Red was rare, but was made. We had a red one in my high school back in the 60s. There may have been other colours which could have been special ordered, but I have seen these colours. I have photos of this phone inside as well, and it definitely was red from date of manufacture. I envy him! What was unusual was to have the schematic inside, and the fellow who converted it years ago marked on the schematic the changes made.

It could use a bit of polishing of the chrome, but is a beautiful example!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Rog

Hello everyone, this is "Rog" aka the New Kid on the block here - - -

Dave has been kind and patient enough to provide me with information on the pay phone above.
Rather than start anew posting, I thought it might be easier if I just posted the remaining photo's I have of the NE233QA-53

It was a rescue effort from a dumpster many years ago...
Had it install in my previous home, then took it out when we moved.
It had been in storage for the past 7 years.
Finally got around to hauling it out with the intention of hooking it up in my Man-Cave!
Hope the photo's tell a better story than I . . . . .

DavePEI

Quote from: Rog on January 02, 2013, 08:20:40 PM
It was a rescue effort from a dumpster many years ago...
Had it install in my previous home, then took it out when we moved.
It had been in storage for the past 7 years.
Finally got around to hauling it out with the intention of hooking it up in my Man-Cave!
Hope the photo's tell a better story than I . . . . .
Roger: The photos look great! I am glad you posted the rest of them. It is a beautiful phone, and in its original red, it is somewhat unusual - not that many were made in red, and your phones finish has stood up beautifully over the past 47 years. Lots of phones have been repainted red since, but your original red is absolutely beautiful!

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001