"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

need help with kellog 1000

Started by JABOT123, June 03, 2013, 12:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JABOT123

Hi

I just purchased a kellog 1000 red line phone at a yard sale. It was rebuilt by a company in colorodo. When I got the phone home the red bar did not go up and down. I opened the phone and there was a black rectangular plate that was loose in phone, I put it back in place but cannot get a dialtone. Any help would be appreciated. Thank You

poplar1

If you call the phone from your cell phone, does it ring?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

LarryInMichigan

Are you referring the the metal cover over the hook switch as the "black rectangular plate"?  If so, perhaps something is amiss in the hook switch.  A good picture of the switch under the cover might be helpful if something is wrong there.  All sorts of problems could result in a lack of dial tone.

Larry

JABOT123

Quote from: poplar1 on June 03, 2013, 05:46:37 PM

No, I  called with cell phone it did not ring.

JABOT123

Quote from: JABOT123 on June 04, 2013, 02:53:50 AM
Quote from: poplar1 on June 03, 2013, 05:46:37 PM

No, I  called with cell phone it did not ring.

Yes that was the black plate that was bouncing around inside the phone. I will post a picture of that section soon

poplar1

I am guessing that the wall jack works with another phone, correct?

Assuming the ringer is OK and connected properly, you may have a defective line cord. To test this, temporarily move the red line cord wire [INSIDE THE PHONE] to the same screw terminal that the green line cord is on, then call the phone again. If the line is busy, the cord is good; if not, you need a new line cord.

If the line is busy, then put the red wire [INSIDE THE PHONE] back where it was, then dial the phone again from your cell phone and then answer it again, even though it isn't ringing. Listening on your cell, does it sound like the land line is still ringing or does it sound like someone picked up?

JABOT123

Quote from: poplar1 on June 04, 2013, 09:53:59 AM

Assuming the ringer is OK and connected properly, you may have a defective line cord. To test this, temporarily move the red line cord wire to the same screw terminal that the green line cord is on, then call the phone again. If the line is busy, the cord is good; if not, you need a new line cord.

If the line is busy, then put the red wire back where it was, then dial the phone again from your cell phone and then answer it again, even though it isn't ringing. Listening on your cell, does it sound like the land line is still ringing or does it sound like someone picked up?

JABOT123

Quote from: JABOT123 on June 04, 2013, 11:44:05 AM
Quote from: poplar1 on June 04, 2013, 09:53:59 AM

Assuming the ringer is OK and connected properly, you may have a defective line cord. To test this, temporarily move the red line cord wire to the same screw terminal that the green line cord is on, then call the phone again. If the line is busy, the cord is good; if not, you need a new line cord.

If the line is busy, then put the red wire back where it was, then dial the phone again from your cell phone and then answer it again, even though it isn't ringing. Listening on your cell, does it sound like the land line is still ringing or does it sound like someone picked up?
The only red and green wires that are next to each other are going to the dial

tHT

poplar1

Note: the red and green wires I am talking about shorting together are inside the phone, not at the wall!

JABOT123

Quote from: poplar1 on June 04, 2013, 01:52:19 PM
Note: the red and green wires I am talking about shorting together are inside the phone, not at the wall!

You are referring to the wires connected to the cord inside the phone? thanks for help

poplar1

Quote from: JABOT123 on June 04, 2013, 06:46:37 PM

You are referring to the wires connected to the cord inside the phone? thanks for help

Yes, this is just a temporary step. If the cord is good, then shorting the 2 wires will short out the line, making the line busy to anyone trying to call. If on the other hand the line is not busy, or you can still use another phone on the line without any problem, then the cord is bad---no dial tone and no ring until you get a new cord.

JABOT123

Quote from: poplar1 on June 05, 2013, 12:26:55 PM
Quote from: JABOT123 on June 04, 2013, 06:46:37 PM

Yes, this is just a temporary step. If the cord is good, then shorting the 2 wires will short out the line, making the line busy to anyone trying to call. If on the other hand the line is not busy, or you can still use another phone on the line without any problem, then the cord is bad---no dial tone and no ring until you get a new cord.

JABOT123

JABOT123

HI

I crossed the two wires going into the phone from the cord. After doing so I was able to use cell phone to call and other phones in my house were ringing. I guess this means the cord is no good?. There is only two wires from cord coming into phone, that is correct?. Where can I buy another similar cord. Thanks in advance

LarryInMichigan

What is on the other side of the cord?

Larry