News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Leich Magneto 533 A

Started by Seijun, July 23, 2019, 09:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

I found this wooden hand crank phone today at the thrift store. I don't know if it's a good deal or not so I passed it up. However, I am still curious to know more about it. Also, I would love to know if it is possible to actually use a hand crank phone as a phone in the modern world.

Sargeguy

These wall phones were used towards the end of the wooden phone era, 30s-40s.  If you like it, I wouldn't pay very much for it as they don't typically fetch significant $$$. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

HarrySmith

I would not pay the asking price, $49.00 is too high. Usually those shops will take half, that would be a better price. It can be modified to use on a regular phone line today without much difficulty. What is the metal thing on top?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Jack Ryan

Quote from: HarrySmith on August 09, 2019, 12:39:33 PM
What is the metal thing on top?

I don't know but often a capacitor is added like that when the phone is installed in the field. The purpose of the capacitor is to prevent the phone from disabling the entire party line if the handset is left off the hook. The bells will ring even of a phone is off hook.

Jack

Babybearjs

I think $49.00 is a fine price to pay for a working phone... at that age, it could even be changed to dial by adding an adapter...
John