"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

how to use a rotary-dial 'phone

Started by Ellen, February 02, 2009, 02:40:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Ellen

Oops, I should have put them in a different thread-folder-column-whatever.  Sorry.

Visiting phriends about ten years ago, I told my kids to call home and tell Daddy something.  They looked at the dial and said, "how?".  Next day I phound a dial phone - somewhere - and they learned (in no time phlat, oph course) to use it.

Same for a dial clock, but harder to learn.  I hadn't realized that we only had digital ones until the 8-yr-old had to go into the other room to find out the time.  My favorite clock (for telling time on) has no numbers or marks except a dot at 3,6,9,12.

Here's an ad from 1957, A&P magazine, 7ยข.

Ellen

McHeath

Great ad, the Bell System was always promoting what they called extension phones back in the day.  Of course since people had to pay rent on each phone it was a way for the phone company to make more loot.  My folks had three rotary phones when I was a kid: kitchen, bedroom and garage. 

As for the kids not knowing how to dial, I see it at school where I teach as I have a rotary in my class.  Funny watching the kids stick their fingers in the holes and expecting a tone to happen.

Ellen

Yeah, the last phone I rented was a red dial one, and when I realized that I was paying $135 a year for it, and I could buy a new (piece of junk) one for $25, I returned it and they THREW it into the back room.  I was appalled! Now I have the AE40, a Western E. 500? and a new piece of junk for those times when there are only robots on the other end.  And 2 yellow wall-dialers in a box downstairs.  When my daughter was 5,  I gave her a phone and a screwdriver and a bucket.  She had a blast, and then I threw it out.  So sorry!!