News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Finally got some shelves up.

Started by Dan/Panther, April 22, 2009, 03:27:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Everybody has shelves but me.  That's what I told my wife when I showed her your pics.  (Trying for a little pity and perhaps a little shelving) ;)

Dan/Panther

Everything there for that, and another set just like those was about $60.00.
They are sturdy shelves though, easily hold twice what I have on them and then some.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

HobieSport

Quote from: McHeath
Everybody has shelves but me.  That's what I told my wife when I showed her your pics.  (Trying for a little pity and perhaps a little shelving) ;)

My GF and I really like these all purpose shelves from Ikea.  They are only 32 inches wide so they have a small footprint, and at 11 inches deep they hold pretty much anything, including telephones, quite well.  And at 80 inches tall (door height) they fit anywhere. The shelves are adjustable. They come in different colors. I like the birch. They should be fastened to the wall at the top for earthquakes.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/13690607

HobieSport

Quote from: Dan
I had 47 phones on three  large, long shelves in the basement. I was organizing them, putting the 500's on top, the 302's in their own spot. Walked away, and it sounded  like a "bell ringing bomb" went off...

I have a friend who collects books the way some of us collect phones.  They are precious to her.  She also had three long shelves, but in her case she used the vertical slot tracks with the flimsy brackets. The tracks were screwed securely into the wall studs and all was well.  But as time went on and her book collection grew and the shelves filled, she actually started some second rows of books on the shelves.  That's right, books shelved two books deep.

Well of course books stacked that way weigh a heck of lot more than phones...and one day while we were sitting outside there was the inevitable crash.  The top shelf bracket teeth had sheared of, and the top shelf came down with it's full weight on the second shelf...and well...The entire hundreds of pounds of books and boards and sharp metal brackets crashed down and books and debris were all over the room in about three seconds.

Oh, and I forgot to mention that the whole shelving system was conveniently located high above the head of her bed.  Had she been abed I honestly doubt that she would have survived.  So what does all this have to do with shelving for telephones?  Not much, it's just my favorite shelving horror story.

Dennis Markham

It sounds like gravity is alive and well in California!  Now you have me worried as I sit here surround by four shelves full of model 500's.  I wouldn't be very happy if they all came tumbling down.

I don't know if I'd want that many books over my head while I'm sleeping!

Dan/Panther

Hobiesport;
I started to answer your question about the pinball game, and got distracted. It's actully an original 1980 Atari Centipde Arcade game. One of my all time favorite arcade games. When the local Pizza parlor went out of business, I knew the owner and bought it for $300.00. It worked but was in poor adjustment. Now it plays great.
Here's another shot of the corner with a few more items added.
D/P

foots

Nice set up I'm wanting to do something similar. Now in order for you  to complete the look, you need more wall phones  :D .
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dennis Markham

Cool Dan!  Centipede was one of my favorite games.  Probably the only game I ever played except maybe PacMan in the beginning.  Nice set-up.

Jester

It has taken me longer to deal with this aspect of collecting than many of you, but I finally picked my stuff off the living room floor & put it in a safe place.  My neighbor two doors South of me is real scrounger & routinely holds garage sales to get rid of stuff he gets tired of or can't use.  I picked up this really old roll away store showcase a couple years ago for $100.00, and finally got around to cleaning it & loading it up last night.  Most everything in it has been posted on before, but there are five new faces that have never been on the forum before now.  Can you spot them?
Stephen

ntophones

What beautiful colors! I love yours, Dan. Very nice on the shelves! I love the progression of the phones, too. Very nice.
Dan, do you have your radios and trains showcased, too?
Jester, wow! What a find in the store showcase! What beautiful 302's! I love the way you guys are showing off your beautiful collections!
--nto

Dennis Markham

Awesome display, Jester.  Your 302's are beautiful.  (See Santa, that's what I'm talking about).  Are those A1's on the bottom shelf?  I don't think we've seen them before.  What about the stick phones?  Great display!  I'll bet it wasn't easy climbing inside to clean that glass, or do they open up?

Jester

The rear of this cabinet has two sliding doors, so it wasn't necessary to climb ALL the way in, but it still proved hard on the knees & elbows!  The L/R progression on the lower shelf is:
20B stick with pony receiver & 334A sub., 50AL w/ 534A & 635 bulldog trans., A1 w/ 584A, B1 w/ 684, D1 w/ 684, and graygreen Continental with plastic F1 and converted 302 base for subset.
The phones I'm sure I haven't posted to the forum before:
50AL, B1, D1, Continental and the yellow 500.
Also, all three of the black cradle desk stands are sporting the early nongrooved(seamless)E1 with 395B "bullet" transmitters.
Stephen

bwanna

stephen, thx for reviving this thread. it was started before i joined the forum, so i had not read it. great displays guys!  d/p i have a gossip bench very similar, if not exactly like yours. stephen what i wouldn't give for that display case. (some of the phones, too ;) ) $100 was a real steal.
donna

AET

Jester, I am green with envy.  I showed this thread to my father and talked him into letting me get a shelving unit in my room for my phones and he is now a bigger fan of my phone collection.
- Tom

Dan/Panther

Quote from: bwanna on November 25, 2009, 08:09:39 PM
stephen, thx for reviving this thread. it was started before i joined the forum, so i had not read it. great displays guys!  d/p i have a gossip bench very similar, if not exactly like yours. stephen what i wouldn't give for that display case. (some of the phones, too ;) ) $100 was a real steal.

Bwanna;
That gossip bench has tremendous signifcance to me. Here is a photo when I was 18 months old. Notice the way the photo and my bench are set up.
D/P