News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 182... These have no ringer?

Started by EdPDX, September 26, 2016, 01:39:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EdPDX

I just hooked one of these up that I have been sitting on. Surprisingly, it glows warmly, and I can receive calls.

No outgoing calls and no ringer. I'd like to change that.

Here is the wiring picture. Bonus: I found a folded schematic stashed in the phone. A first for me.

So if there is no ringer can I add one? Is there room?

I added a warbler to my AE 183 that is now online- no outgoing calls still.

Any ideas on either item?

dsk

Never seen that one before, looks like it has 2 sets of induction coils.  Could you please post a scan or good photo of the schematics?
I have a mini-ringer in my starlite, but that is a newer one with plastic base. Looks like this: http://tinyurl.com/htpjwuj

dsk

jsowers

Quote from: EdPDX on September 26, 2016, 01:39:47 PM
I just hooked one of these up that I have been sitting on. Surprisingly, it glows warmly, and I can receive calls.

No outgoing calls and no ringer. I'd like to change that.

Here is the wiring picture. Bonus: I found a folded schematic stashed in the phone. A first for me.

So if there is no ringer can I add one? Is there room?

I added a warbler to my AE 183 that is now online- no outgoing calls still.

Any ideas on either item?

About outgoing calls, you haven't told us what kind of phone service you have. It sounds like you have phone service through a cable modem or something other than a plain old phone company phone line, so it won't support rotary phones, which is why both phones won't dial out. So please let us know what you have. It does sound like the phones are hooked up properly or you wouldn't be able to receive calls.

The early Starlites didn't come with an internal gong-type ringer and there isn't room for one. They used an external ringer located on the baseboard or no ringer at all since they were mostly bedroom phones. You can put a warbler in there if you like and if there's room. Be sure not to interfere with the hookswitch which almost spans the length of the phone.
Jonathan

EdPDX

I have comcast/xfinity. They have given me a modem with a single phone jack in it. One phone won't do it and I didn't want to split lines down the hallway to outfit the rest of my home. I pulled the BELL jack in the box (NPI), but found only two of the many jacks got a dial tone. Upon investigating, I found that the wire pairs were reversed in several of the jacks- so I unreversed them and was able to get live jacks where I want them.

For some reason my TA236/FT Army phone -circa 68, will not get a dial tone. Still working on it.

Mostly I'd like to get at least one of my phones to dial past the dial tone.

This is the warbler I bought and just hooked up for my AE 183. It works, but sounds a little flat. I remember them sounding richer (read cooler).

Anyone know where to get an original?

I can still use some help getting my lines to call out; please chime in

stub

EdPDX,
          As Jonathan stated they had ringer boxes on the base boards . Here's one for you from 1960 , type 32 ringer box and after that AE used Type 33 . These were hooked to the line in wires and L-1 and L-2 were brought to the telephone. stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

jsowers

Be forewarned, those AE ringers are LOUD. You would almost have too much of a good thing. My landlady in Chapel Hill had one on her AE SpaceMaker in the kitchen that covered the entire three-bedroom house. So try to get one with an adjustable bell if that's an option.

If you don't mind a different brand, the WE E1C ringer is what they used with early Princess phones and it's a bit more quiet, with an adjustable bell. I attached a picture of one, a later modular version.

As far as getting rotary to work with your phone service, I'm fairly sure the two best options are one of those dialgizmo things that converts rotary to tone or a Panasonic PABX. Here is a list of topics about the Panasonic PABX. Neither option is as foolproof as just using a POTS line--the standard old-fashioned analog phone line most of us grew up with.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?board=66.0
Jonathan