"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Deco-Tel "Circl" Telephone, Looking for model #'s and technical info. on it

Started by RotoTech99, October 31, 2016, 01:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I have a white ATC/DecoTel "Circl" telephone; (A lookalike to WE's Sculptura Design Line set) with a round ATC Tone pad that I am trying to find the model numbers, available colors, and a diagram or practice on, please.

It shares the same general housing as a rotary WE Sculptura, but the internals are ATC in origin, and uses a ITT type mini ringer.

Its network/hookswitch assembly is located on the left side internally.

Was there a rotary version of it?

My questions are based primarily on the absence of model code on the ID label that apparently isn't due to fade of the type or writing on the label.

If you can assist or give me some clues on finding this information, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thank You, RotoTech99

paul-f

The topic of the "CirclPhone" (tm) came up briefly several years ago.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11248.msg120129#msg120129

In 1981, they seem to have been available in the same colors as the Sculptura -- and with the ATC/Decotel "round pushbutton tone pad," or rotary dial. 

I believe the model numbers for pushbutton sets were:

TMIF-8100E - brown
TMIF-8100W - white
TMIF-8100Y - yellow

There may be more models listed in distributor catalogs from the 1970s and 80s.

Here are some harvested photos...
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

RotoTech99

Dear Paul-f:

Thank you for the information. I believe the rotary Circl sets would be coded DMIF-8100... It fits the ATC coding patterns.

Can you find out for me how a rotary dial would wire into in it, please?

I know there are two jumpers for the tone version, and three are used for the rotary since the network can be configured with jumpers for rotary or tone dialing.

The network is similar to the integrated ones ATC used in their other sets, so it should be configurable in a similar manner...

I have seen a posting on it, but I don't immediately recall it.

Please let me know, and Thank You,
RotoTech99

paul-f

Quote from: RotoTech99 on November 02, 2016, 09:51:11 AM
Can you find out for me how a rotary dial would wire into in it, please?

I know there are two jumpers for the tone version, and three are used for the rotary since the network can be configured with jumpers for rotary or tone dialing.

The network is similar to the integrated ones ATC used in their other sets, so it should be configurable in a similar manner...

I have seen a posting on it, but I don't immediately recall it.

I don't have technical info in my personal library.  You might try ATC wiring diagrams or a shop manual in the TCI Library for similar ATC sets
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

RotoTech99

Dear Paul-F:

I have checked the TCI Library, the ATC sets listed there with ATC networks have mainly the separate networks and hookswitches. Nothing is listed for the integrated network/hook versions.

I have found the one item I mentioned that has a listing of the connections for a ATC integrated network/hook set with tone dialing that has the jumpers locations listed for the tone version, but not the rotary version, which adds a extra jumper to the network.  I also know the rotary dial would connect in the same manner as for the sets with separate hooks and networks.

If you come across an ATC rotary set you can open that has a integrated network/hook, can you write down the jumper connections on the network and let me know, please.

Thanks again, RotoTech99

BTW: By integrated, I mean that the hookswitch is on the network assembly and not separate from it.

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

RotoTech99

Dear Poplar1:

Go to the Technical Stuff section, and go to page 4.

You will see a topic listing titled "Looking for documents on ATC integrated network 736644-01 and 736659-01 networks".. click on that and look for a .pdf document with the words wiring diagram, then click on it.

There is a list style chart of the ATC sets with the integrated network and tone dial that was made using an actual set to record the wiring including jumpers.

Unfortunately, I don't have the schematic diagram, but there are also photos of the network that may help you answer my inquiry, please
Thanks, Rototech99

RotoTech99

Dear Poplar1:

In case you werte wondering arbout the wiring chart document I referred you to in my inquiry about the rotary dial and jumper connections to the ATC integrated network and switchooksh ATC used in their sets, I posted that a while back to help others with ATC sets that contained the integrated hook/networks using a tone dial I mentioned.

As I mentioned earlier, the only wiring information I don't have is for the rotary dial equipped setsusing the integrated network.. The primary thing I need to know is the lo0cations for the jumpers to allow the integrated network to accomodate a rotary dial; I know there are 4 involved.

As I had previously,,,,, in searching for a schematic; I did a search to try locating a schematic and did not locate one, I sat down with the actual set having that type network, and wrote down the connections for the dial, ringer, handset and line cord, and any straps or jumpers, and carefully traced the connections then wrote them down and created a document, along with photos of the parts where possible. The only set I didn't have access to was a rotary version with the same network.

I am hopeful that eventually a ATC schematic for the integrated network/switchhook assemblies will be found, that includes the rotary configuration information, but in the mean time there is the copy of the list style chart I provided, and I will be glad to provide that separately as an attachment to email replies about it to me, if asked.

Please reply, and Thank you, RotoTech99