News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mahogany Model 500 Refurbishment

Started by Dennis Markham, June 10, 2009, 10:53:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

About a year or more ago I found a good buy on a Mahogany Western Electric Model 500D.  It was listed on Craigslist.  I convinced the woman to ship it although she was reluctant.  She preferred local pick up.  She was in Maine and I'm in Michigan.  But after many e-mails with instructions on how to pack the phone she agreed.

It is dated 12/1957...near the very end of the production run for this color.  I have been wanting to begin work on it for a long time but had other projects.  Today I made a trade with another collector for a Mahogany 500 that I had sitting on my shelf.  So with a vacant spot on the shelf I figured it was time to get to work on this one.  The only problem is a huge, deep scratch on the top.  I inspected it very carefully and determined it is only a scratch and not a crack.

So tonight I began on the cover and thought I'd share some photos as I progress through refurbishing the phone.  It is probably going to take me a while as I have other projects that must get done but for today the Mahogany 500 gets attention.

The accompanying photos show the phone as I got it and the cover after I gave it a polishing tonight.  I like to clean and polish it to see just where all the imperfections are before I dig out the sandpaper.  I know the scratch on top will need some work.  The case actually polished up very nice with only a few other small nicks.

My next step will be to work on the scratch until it disappears, then re-polish before moving to the rest of the phone.

Dan

Nice  brown Dennis, what did you polish it with?
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

JorgeAmely

Dennis:

That scratch looks deep. Sometimes it is better not to push your luck too much.
Jorge

Steve

Even with that scratch, I would display/use that phone. if you are unhappy with the results maybe we could work a deal?

that may be a moot offer though, as I have seen your work before... ( what scratch?) :)
If you're a long way from home,
Can't sleep at night.
Grab your telephone,
Something just ain't right.

Dennis Markham

It does look deep.  I haven't tried to sand it yet.  Dan, I just used Novus 2 and lots of elbow grease and my Ryobi hand-held buffer.

Steve, plus the fact that I already traded away my only other Mahogany.  The pressure is on!

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1155.0

Dennis Markham

I just gave it the first hit with the bastard file.  (Not really).  I did use 220 grit wet sand paper.  The scratch is all but gone.  I am going to have to hit one small spot again.  But that will have to wait for another day.

McHeath

That scratch should be gone, this will be a nice looking phone. 

Dennis Markham

Thanks McHeath.  I'm having fun with it.  I guess that's what the hobby is all about.

bingster

That's exactly what it's all about.  And you must be pretty happy about that scratch, now.  As I was going through this thread, I saw the scratch and my heart sank.  Then a few posts down, it's practically gone! 

It's shaping up really nicely. :)
= DARRIN =

Dennis Markham

Thanks Bingster.  Now all I have to do is get rid of my sanding marks.  I've been sitting on that phone for over a year and just never got to it.  Now I'm looking forward to finishing it.

foots

Mr. Markham, you have not failed to surprise me once again. I didn't care much for a brown phone but must admit, yours looks very nice.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

Dennis Markham

Thank you Joshua.  I'm not a big fan of anything brown either but since Mahogany is one of the colors of the rainbow of W.E. colors I had to have one.  The more I cleaned it up the more I liked it.  They are elegant when shined up nicely. 

Dan/Panther

Dennis;
Hopeful;ly you haven't continued too far yet.
Maybe you could snap a photo of each step, and tell us what grit you used, and direction of sanding etc., right through the process.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Dennis Markham

Dan, I will do that.  I just alternate direction.  That way you can see if you have sanded away all the previous lines.  I started here with 220 and went east-west.  I'm going to work on it a little bit more until there is no visible sign of that initial gouge.  Then I'll jump up to the next grit I have which is 400, then 800, then 1,000, then 2,000 and then I'll polish and re-evaluate.  Since this isn't a very huge spot it won't take too long.  The key is just making sure the previous marks are gone before moving up to the next level.

Dennis Markham

Here is the second step in the process.  I used 400 grit to sand away the marks made by the 220 grit.  Notice the original marks went left to right (east/west) and these are up and down (north and south).  I won't post each step but you get the idea.  I looked at the area under pretty high magnification.  I don't see any evidence of the scratch or my previous marks.  800 grit is next.